Blank screen when trying to install XP SP2 on mac mini

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Divine Aurora, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Divine Aurora macrumors newbie

Hi, I am trying to set up boot camp on my new mac mini. The primary reason is that 10.6 intel macs don't support my version of mac photoshop (Photoshop 7). I have an XP version of photoshop installed on my old laptop, and want to boot XP on my mac and move it over. However, when I tried to install Boot Camp, and re-started with the windows CD in from Boot Camp, I had a gray screen for a bit, then a blank screen.

I have a brand new Mac Mini, with OS X 10.6, and I set up the boot camp partition successfully. My windows CD is XP with SP2 as apple claims is required.

Additionally, I have an external hard drive with a .bkf file on it from a backup of my old PC laptop that has photoshop in it, but I can't extract that to my BOOTCAMP drive, at least without windows already installed on it.

I tried some other windows CD's, and a windows DVD that are supposed to be bootable borrowed from friends, using the boot camp application, with the CD in, at least XP SP 2, and I still got a blank screen as it re-started, and thus have been unable to install windows.

Is there another way I could install windows? Perhaps from my .BKF file? Is there something I might be doing wrong? I do have an older monitor, a viewsonic 17 inch, and I'm using an apple adapter. Could it be that windows install CD's don't support my graphics card? If so, how am I supposed to install windows? Also, my keyboard doesn't seem to be recognized either. It is a macally ikey extended keyboard, and I can't even get the caps lock light to turn on while it is trying to load of the windows XP disk with boot camp.

HELP!:eek::confused:

2. Divine Aurora thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if this is appropriate, but I'm bumping this thread since I haven't gotten any responses.

While I'm at it I might as well ask if it is likely that I wouldn't have these problems if I used some other install method or Vista or the new Windows 7, and if the windows version of Photoshop 7 works on Vista or Windows 7.