Blank Spaces on friends Dock.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Samarium, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Hello everyone, my friend has removed Acquisition. Now he has a blank space(attached image) instead where the icon of Acquisition was. If you hover on top of it, the description stills says Acquisition. What can I do to remove that for him?

Attached Files:

2. kolax macrumors G3

Can he not just drag the icon off the Dock like you for removing any shortcut in the Dock...?

3. fpar macrumors regular

just drag it out of the dock as you would any other icon, this issue has occurred because the icon was deleted but its place and description was not, it should still be draggable.

4. Samarium thread starter macrumors 6502a

Samarium

That was the first thing I did. When I drag the icon out of the Dock, the dock RESTARTS, and the blank icons stay there.

5. kolax macrumors G3

fpar - when you delete an application that has a shortcut on the Dock, the icon gets replaced with a "?".

Tried restarting his Mac?

6. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

All else failing, locate the file "com.apple.dock.plist" from /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences and drag it to the desktop. Reboot and the dock should be restored to default settings. If so, delete the plist file from your desktop and have your friend rebuild it the way he/she likes it.

You can also try modifying that file if you'd like, removing the line(s) related to Acquisition. I don't know exactly what you'd need to remove so you're on your own there.

7. Samarium thread starter macrumors 6502a

Samarium

I already tried restarting, with no success, posting here is my last resource.

8. Samarium thread starter macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Thanks that worked, but now Finder's icon is not displaying, same as trash. Ill try a little bit here. Any ideas how to get those 2 icons back?

9. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

No idea. Is your friend using any 3rd party apps that modify the Dock?

Remember not to delete that plist file from your desktop until the issue is solved. OS X will always create a new one if it can't find one, but it's good to have the original in case you need it for anything.

10. Samarium thread starter macrumors 6502a

Samarium

No, he is not using any app whatsoever.

Yes, when I saw that the Finder icon and Trash icon was not appearing, I restored it back to the first one, and STILL doesnt have the 2 icons above-mentioned.

11. Samarium thread starter macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Attached Files:

12. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Create a new user and log into the new account. Does the Dock appear as it should? If so, than the issue is specific to the user which you are currently logged in as and I would think trashing the plist file(s) related should clear up the issue, especially if no 3rd party apps are involved.

13. Samarium thread starter macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Never thought about that one!

Edit: It failed. It still doesnt show any icon at all.

Edit: I fixed the blank spaces, copy my dock.plist to his library. STILL dont have the finder/trash icons

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Have you tried grabbing the /System/Libraries/Coreservices/Dock.app package from another Mac running Leopard, and overwriting the same package on the affected machine? I'd try copying it over, doing a permissions repair, then restarting to see what happens.

15. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

If none of the suggestions work, you might have to end up doing a reinstall and/or an archive and install.

16. kolax macrumors G3