BLANKscreen+Backlight working=Loose Connection???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by katrinawood26, Nov 28, 2010.

1. katrinawood26 macrumors newbie

Hi, I was wondering if the following symptoms sound like they could be from a loose connection of sorts....
    (AppleCare will not cover it)

Symptoms:
    - Blank/BLACK Screen (won't display images on laptop screen)
    - Backlight works (lights up, but all "black."
    - Displays images on external monitor without problem.
    - SOMETIMES, the laptop displays images PERFECTLY (all of the sudden, it's like it was raised from the dead). But then it suddenly will stop working again. (If I shut it?/adjust screen angle?)

Possible cause(s)
    It fell out of my bag when I slipped on some ice running late to work. :(
    Could it be that there is a connection that is simply loose/damaged? Because it SOMETIMES works. perfectly.

Any advice on how to repair? If so, where would I look/what tools would I need to fix? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this thing? Thanks in advance for any help!

(My computer) =
    MacBook, 13"
    ("new"style silver casing)
    ~2008? (Got it when they first transitioned from the white macBooks to this kind).

Katrina

2. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I would check ifixit.com for a disassembly guide and check the connections and to see if anything is broken. I wouldn't be surprised if you had to buy a new screen though.

Look at it this way: your hard drive is still working, those files are often worth more than the hardware!

I'm assuming there are a few dents on there, correct? If an apple store is nearby and you can afford the time, can't hurt to just stop in and see if they'll do it for free if you bought the extended AppleCare. Worst that'll happen is say that you'll have to pay and you just say no thanks and leave then try it yourself.

One more thing: If you don't already, make regular backups of that drive incase it was took too hard of a hit.

3. katrinawood26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Logic board connection? LVDS? LCD panel connections?

Thank you --
    I was just there on ifixit: they gave me a few ideas, but I'll need your opinions as I'm no computer whiz. (can you please interpret?)

#1? Logic Board Connection
    - Display Data cable?
    #2? LVDS (video) cable disconnected from LCD verify LCD panel connections
    #3? Connecting cable from LCD to MotherBoard?

to clarify symptoms:
    **Display worked PERFECTLY earlier this morning, and once yesterday evening! :confused:(But then it just stopped working
    ((normally doesn't work))
    Hasn't worked in months!
    **Display/Backlight adjustment responds accordingly to pressing dim/bright buttons on keyboard:
    ("little-sun" -->darker black, : "big sun" --> lighter black/grey

Thanks much,
    Katrina

I already went in to apple about it, and yes, my computer screen has battle scars and I was quoted somewhere in the $600-700 range at two different stores :(

4. mrbash macrumors 6502

That is an outrageous price you are being quoted! You should not pay more than 250$ at very most for a new screen. Given that it's 2008, I would think around $150 for a replacement screen (if that is what is wrong).

If your back-light is working, and since your screen works sometimes, it could very likely be a damaged cable.

Post your model number and I can probably tell you which screen you need. Most places that sell replacement screens will test the replacement free of charge.