Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TanBrae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2015
So far, not so impressed with Sierra. I don't have an iWatch, or an iPhone, and don't want one. I want a COMPUTER! That means that I also don't want my COMPUTER to work like either an iPhone or an iWatch.

So, HOW on earth do I use the calendar in Sierra? I've done web searches, and haven't come up with anything, except something about syncing to iCloud, which is something else I do NOT want to do.

When I try to add an event, I get this:
"You can’t change events in the “US Holidays” calendar."

It pops up in the "Birthday" calendar, too. I've tried unchecking both, but I still get that message.

I really liked Lion's calendar, and wish I could have it back. (Yep, I'm an old(er) lady who isn't interested in all the Cloud stuff, or syncing, or sharing, or, or, or.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Stop trying to add events to the US Holidays and Birthday calendars... neither are writable calendars because they're automated. You have to save events to the Home calendar (or whatever calendar you have set up). Unchecking them hides them from your calendar view, but they still exist. Go into the Calendar app preferences and change the default calendar to the Home calendar... that way you won't have to switch it each time you add an event.

This issue would have existed back in Lion as well... you just never experienced it. Sierra's Calendar app is pretty much the same, it just syncs with iCloud.

TanBrae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2015
Stop trying to add events to the US Holidays and Birthday calendars... neither are writable calendars because they're automated. You have to save events to the Home calendar (or whatever calendar you have set up). Unchecking them hides them from your calendar view, but they still exist. Go into the Calendar app preferences and change the default calendar to the Home calendar... that way you won't have to switch it each time you add an event.

This issue would have existed back in Lion as well... you just never experienced it. Sierra's Calendar app is pretty much the same, it just syncs with iCloud.
Thanks. I finally found the answer on YouTube. One has to create a "new" calendar. Right click on the empty sidebar, then add "New Calendar". Hmmmph! I never had to do that in any of the other versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.