Bleeding AND washed out

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Zeos, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Zeos macrumors 6502

Attached is a comparison screen shot of an iPad 1 (left) and iPad 2 (right), both at full brightness in a dark room. Both iPads have bleed, with the 2 having more. But the biggest thing I've been noticing is that the iP2 consistently has a more washed out look. Maybe the displays have bigger problems than just the bleed?

Attached Files:

2. Zeos, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

Zeos thread starter macrumors 6502

One more with iP1 left and iP2 right. This one really shows how the iP1 has truer blacks and less bleed. Wash out in colors is also apparent in videos. Not as noticeable, of course, in everyday use.

Attached Files:

3. duffer6 macrumors 6502

Part of this is due to the lesser amount of glass in the iPad 2. If you put the brightness of the iPad 2 at 85% compared to the 100% of the brightness in the iPad 1 you will see the screens look the same and the iPad 2 is not washed out. All due to one layer of glass being removed from the iPad 2. Less glass less brightnesss needed to blow out the contrast.

4. Zeos thread starter macrumors 6502

I dropped the iP2 down to about 80% brightness and looked again. Results are largely the same. Still very washed out colors and bright blacks.

5. klover macrumors 6502a

That just looks like panel variance. I've had three first-gen iPads and they had significant contrast and black level variation.

6. Zeos, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

Zeos thread starter macrumors 6502

That's one heck of a variance.

Update: Compared our other IP2, same washed out, overexposed look.

7. rgeraght macrumors newbie

every ipad 2 does this with video, looks like a software issue,

if you pause the video and take a snapshot of the freeze frame, then look at the photo, the photo is much better, with better black level than the paused frame in the video

8. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

Bleeding, dead pixels, stuttery photo app and now washed out colors, what's next?

I really want an iPad2 but I think I'll just hold onto my original slower, no bleeding, zero dead pixels, smooth photo app and more vibrant blacks iPad1 until this is all resolved.;)

And I still want an iPad2.....it's a sickness I tell you!!

9. aibo82 macrumors 6502

Hi

Thats the issue im having with washed out colours, I made a thread about it but people are so far up apples they said I should get my eyes tested!

Its Clearly an issue as mine does it dark scenes in movies the black areas are overexposed like apples set the brightness wrong and in turn it highlights the letterbox bands top and bottom.

Im thinking of sending mine back now!

10. Zeos thread starter macrumors 6502

This IS a paused frame. To me, playing side by side or paused, the washed out effect persists.

Btw, if you really want to see you bleed points, just turn your ip2 off and then back on. You'll see them. Ditto for ip1, but not as bad.

11. rgeraght macrumors newbie

I know... take a photo snapshot of the paused frame and look at the same image in the photo app, it will look better than the paused frame in the videos app, not washed out