Blemish in NEW iPhone 3GS Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ntrigue, Dec 25, 2009.

1. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Strange thing here, ONLY visible when used outdoors.

On the left side of the screen there is a 5mm x 1mm streak of light glue against the frame. It seems to be under the digitizer even.

How much of a hassle am I going to get from AT&T (purchased 5 days ago). I don't wish to waste the screen protector and Zagg shield if they won't exchange.

Any advice appreciated.

2. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Yes go to an AT&T Store, and get a NIB phone.

3. ntrigue thread starter macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I feel silly walking the dude outside but I guess I'll chance it.

4. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

You paid either $199, or $299, for an iPhone. You only had it five days. Your in your return period. They should have sold you a defect free phone. It took me 5 Apple Genuis Bar replacements to get the perfect one. But I got refurbished iPhones. You will get a new one. Apple refurbished are different. they have a new battery and outer casing, buttons and serial number, so they look brand new, but come in a white box. But don't worry, you will get a new iPhone.

5. appleforme macrumors member

take the zagg shields off before you exchange. Zagg will send you new ones and you have to send the old ones back within like 30 days. Go to zagg.com for details on their warranty. I had to exchange my new 3GS and took to old shields to the Zagg kiosk in the mall and they gave me new shields and charged me $10 to install new shields on front and back. not a bad deal.

6. jason221 macrumors 6502

Why would you install a shield on the back of an iPhone? I could understand if it was an iPod touch, since they have very-easily-scratched aluminum backs, but it seems pointless to put a shield on the back of an iPhone. Or are Zagg shields not those little films that you stick on?

7. ntrigue thread starter macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Thanks all for your comments!

It was a fairly easy process. Two minute wait then the representative involved an Assistant Manager that went to the back and used a flashlight to see the glue. 20 minutes, perfect iPhone 3GS :)

That way I can set it on counters and spin from landscape to vertical without jacking-up the logo etc. I dropped a 3G with this setup before and only the chrome bezel was scratched.

I actually just peeled it off and trimmed the edges then used water to reinstall, looks great!

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

AT&T will send you away. You have to go to an Apple store or call them.

9. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

AT&T won't if you are still under your return policy. Once you have passed that date, you have to go to an Apple Store.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

So the back doesn't get scratched? The plastic back DOES get scratched easily enough.

11. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I believe if you want to return it they will allow you, but I am pretty sure (could be wrong) that they will not replace the iPhone. I think Apple is the only one who will do that.

12. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think that the back scratches nearly as easily as an iPod

13. ntrigue thread starter macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Interesting, no one chooses to read critical pieces of a thread. It was replaced with a NIB 3GS at AT&T without any hassle whatsoever.

14. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Apologies. :)