Blender vs Shake

Switzermac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
Do any of you use blender as post production software and have you used shake aswell if so can they be compared and which do you recommend.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Switzermac said:
Do any of you use blender as post production software and have you used shake aswell if so can they be compared and which do you recommend.
Isn't Blender mostly a 3D modeling and rendering tool? I know it has some "post-production" capabilities, but I'd be very surprised if it could match the abilities of Shake, which is a mature and dedicated compositing tool.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Although Blender is very good (especially considering that it's free) and can actually handle most average compositing jobs, Shake definitely wins here.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Blender is a 3d modeling tool... shake is post production.

totally different beasts and hardly comparable.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
DXoverDY said:
Blender is a 3d modeling tool... shake is post production.

totally different beasts and hardly comparable.

Yes, but Blender also has surprisingly advanced composting and as I said earlier can handle most average compositing jobs. This is why it is valid for some comparison.

Shake wins here, but if your needs aren't all that great Blender's or FCE's/FCP's built-in compositing should do fine.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I was thinking this was about Blender (from Futurama) vs. Shake (from Aqua Teen Hunger Force, see avatar). I think we know who would win.