Blending layers (Photoshop)

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by cleo, Jan 2, 2009.

  1. cleo macrumors 65816


    Jan 21, 2002
    Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
    I've used Photoshop for years, but I'm not a pro, so I'm super-good at some things and a total n00b at others. :)

    So I'm trying to do a little digital scrapbooking, and I have a slightly wrinkled-looking paper hang-tag thingy that I want to "write" on. My handwriting sucks, though, so I'm actually going to use a font layer.

    My question is this. The "paper" has creases and whatnot in it and is very realistic (it's either a super-high quality scan or an amazingly talented artist made it, or both). So when I put my text on it, is there any way to let some of that underlying "texture" come through, so it looks more like the text was on it before it was crumpled up? I suspect that the "blending options" may be of use here, but I don't know where to start.

    Do you have any other tips/links to tutorials/learned wisdom about making typed text look a little less perfect? I don't want it to be "grunge"... just more realistic than perfectly-smooth-text-with-no-depth-or-texture-over-photorealistic-paper.

    Here's the image I'm starting with...

  2. jdl8422 macrumors 6502


    Jul 5, 2006
    On your layers palette there are blending options. Try an overlay or color burn. You can also tweak the fill and opacity on the same palette.
  3. Lone Deranger macrumors 68000

    Lone Deranger

    Apr 23, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    In addition to finding a good layer blend mode, you could use the liquify tool to warp/undulate the rasterized font somewhat in accordance with the various planes and angles the crumpled paper has. This'll heighten the illusion of the text actually being on the card.
    You could also add a layer mask to the text layer and paint out a few tiny specs and marks by hand.

    (your link isn't working btw)

Share This Page