Blinded by iOS7? Annoyed with calendar contrast? Try this

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Iphone5preorder, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Settings > general > accessibility> Increase contrast on and bold text on

This has helped me quite a bit. The calendar is easier to read and the menus are easier to look at.

Give it a shot, hope it helps!

Attached Files:

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Bolding the text really does make all the difference.

3. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

Definitely. I love it. I also like having the motion reduce option on. Easier on my eyes.

4. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Bold looks cool, but annoying in text messages.

I kind of like the thin font design, it doesn't bother me, but I can see why it would bother some.

I do have increase contrast on and reduce motion on.

5. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Thanks for the tip. Just did it and it fixed my problem with iOS7 :). Now my eyes don't hurt.

6. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

Happy to hear :)

7. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Wow, what a difference in readability! Now I don't have to strain so much.

Can't believe "bold" text isn't standard for iOS 7.

My eyes love you sir :)

8. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

We meet again :cool:

9. user-name-here macrumors 65816

LoL you are probably getting sick of me by now! I know others on the forum sure are ;)

Thanks again for the great tip though. Not only will help me but will really be helpful for my mom.

Cheers!

10. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Don't have phone yet, but just by chance can anyone compare with and without bold on this thread with a photo ?

11. marddin macrumors 6502

I actually prefer the standard text. I've dropped the text size down to the smallest it will allow. I guess I've gotten used to it working on a retina for over a year now. :)

12. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sure. What do you want to see? It changes everything as far as texts, picture titles, settings menu, etc.

13. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Just did that on my iPad mini. Looks so weird after a couple of weeks of skinny fonts. Don't know if I like it :-/

14. Altis macrumors 68000

Even better than that, set the Triple-Click-Home accessibility to "Invert Colors".

Then, when using all the totally white apps, triple click your home button to have a black background. You can feel your eyes relax.

15. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Great tip! Thanks!

16. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Got phone, returned because of sound level not good, and wanting AT&T over Verizon since they give 3 GB of data over Verizons 2 GB at the same price.

I did use the bold, and it helped a bit. Must remember not to play with display for prolonged periods or eyes water, and display becomes blurry :D

17. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does anyone think Apple is going to address this white background issue?

What really bothers is you really start to realize how bad it is when you invert colors and look at the settings menu.. You feel your eyes just relax and feel good... This is how it should be.. Why make it uncomfortable for the user?

18. beegie macrumors regular

You would think by now they would know the health dynamics of bright white light &/or color vs health/overall. In other words, why did they do it in the first place? Are they ignorant/unaware of the health issues? They have the experts involved in design in order to teach them what they may not yet know, don't they?

Exactly. Little story of what I learned in the past year:

1. Always hated dark website backgrounds... UNTIL !!! I began creating photo-blogs & read that pics always look better on black backgrounds. So I tried dark themes, & sure enough, pics look fantastic against black backgrounds. (Like old-time construction-paper photo albums from the 1950's. They were always black pages for a reason!) Point being: Attitude Changed 180 degrees re black backgrounds. That was the first big revelation.

2. Enter family member gets cancer so I start researching. One thing I learned was re BRIGHT WHITE ["blue"] LIGHT & the cancer connection. The pineal gland is above/between the eyes. It secretes melatonin. Melatonin not only produces deep sound sleep but also is a cancer INHIBITOR. Bright white light STOPS the pineal gland from producing melatonin. Night Owls, Night Workers get more cancer than other people (they are in lights more). Blind women don't get cancer as light never goes into their eyes. Etc. Seeing-Women are more susceptible than men due to hormone makeup. Staring at bright white computer screens & now cellphone screens (& TV screens, etc.) all day & into the night is inhibiting everyone's pineal gland from producing melatonin, the needed cancer inhibitor & sleep-inducer. For more info about this, former-GE-Lighting engineers have a site, LowBlueLights.com (Blue referring to the bright white lights, like fluorescents & tanning beds & light-tables & computers/cell screens, etc.). Check their Cancer menu tab for studies, etc. Tons of research there. They also offer amber shields for TVs, computer & cell screens, or amber eyeglasses, etc., to "fool" your pineal gland that it is Dusk outside so your pineal gland will begin producing melatonin even if you're staring at a bright white cell screen at midnight. Not cheap; cheaper ones at Amz but some reviews there saud, "You get what you pay for" & that the Amz amber glasses were shoddy el cheapo whereas the ones from LowBlueLights were better. I haven't tried their glasses but did get the little iphone amber screen ($13) but it was a pain to put on properly even though I liked/got hooked on the amber color/blocks the whiteness of iphone & wanted to leave it on all the time. :) I Plan on trying the glasses next (approx. $35). -- Point being: This was my 2nd big revelation re bright white light/color, the pineal-connection!

3. A few months later was reading wordpress forums, person asking re themes, colors, etc., & one of the longtime WP experts replied, "Dark Color Backgrounds are Easier on the Eyes, Less Stressful on the Eyes!" (Just as you said above!) I was like, wow, there it is again, the 3rd time I'm hearing about this in the same 6-9 months timeframe. -- Point Being: A lot of people know about this, so why doesn't Apple?

Exactly! How could computer companies in business for 30-35 years never have come across scientific & medical studies re how damaging bright white lights & screens, & bright white colors are? SURELY THEY MUST KNOW BY NOW!?! With Apple's billions they never hired someone to research these things? You have to wonder what is their motive for making bright white screens even whiter by removing all color & adding all white instead?

And fwiw, I keep my 3Gs screen/brightness all the way down to like 2% & it's still too bright, so I use the White on Black option as much as possible (it messes up all icons & photos, but for text/reading it's a huge improvement. Gorgeous gold & black, too, on older ios).

HTH!