blinking earth upon start up!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kalafut, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

so i go to new ram and i installed it, it said it was working, but then one time turned on my computer, it showed a pic of a folder with a ? on it, so i turn off my macbook and turned it back on, then it started normally, then one time i turned it on and i got this blinking earth, so i restarted and i got the folder, so i restarted again, and it booted normally, anyways im really confused, does anyone know what these things mean? :(

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

the folder with a question mark means that the computer can't find a system folder. The world, I think means that the computer is trying to start up from a network drive. If you don't already have everything important backed up I would suggest that you back it up before your HD goes completely out.

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Additionally to what was said above, this wouldn't be a RAM problem but a HDD problem. If you haven't already got a backup, now would be a very good time, see here for more information (on your problem).

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I agree that now is as good a time as any to back up. In the meantime though, select the appropriate startup disk in System Preferences.

5. Kalafut thread starter macrumors regular

Kalafut

well crap. that sucks. well at-least i was already planning on buying a new HD:(
    thanks for the help.

so should i get 2700rpm 120gb seagate HD for $116 or have apple replace and upgrade my HD my current HD is 80gb, and i want a bigger one, but im afraid apple will charge me up the !@# (butt).