Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CasGie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2010
Malmköping, Sweden
I have a MacBook Air (year 2012), 256GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB, OS X 10.9 (13A603). All updates are installed.

A few weeks ago I updated to Mavericks. Since then the actual working window blinks about every 10 seconds. Note that this problem only occurs when logged in with my main user account. Guest and a reserve account don't have this problem.
The blinking screen causes a lot of troubles like missing characters when typing, closing menus directly after opening a menu, and closing the Launchpad.

When I searched the internet I read several articles saying that Google Drive causes the problem. And here is my issue: I don't have Google Drive.

This is what I tried so far:
  • cold and warm boot, even with CTRL-R
  • cleaning VRAM and PRAM
  • all the control and recover tools in Disk Utility
  • changing screen resolution
  • removed some PLIST-files (as suggested on a specific forum)

Some suggest that the best to do is a clean reinstall of Mavericks. But before I do that I wanna know if there is somebody out there who has a more easy and convenient method.

Thanks in advance for help.
/Caspar

Last edited:

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
The clean install should help you avoid any 3rd party software that might be incompatible with Mavericks. I had the same problem plus kernel panics. I tried to manually identify the problem by deleting 3rd party software and cleaning caches. I was tempted to install a clean Mavericks too, and I was waiting for the Apple update. Finally the problems became too much for me to bear, and I reverted back to Snow Leopard via my Time Machine.

CasGie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2010
Malmköping, Sweden
The clean install should help you avoid any 3rd party software that might be incompatible with Mavericks. I had the same problem plus kernel panics. I tried to manually identify the problem by deleting 3rd party software and cleaning caches. I was tempted to install a clean Mavericks too, and I was waiting for the Apple update. Finally the problems became too much for me to bear, and I reverted back to Snow Leopard via my Time Machine.

Thanks Madrich for your input. Maybe that's the best thing to do since I haven't found any other solution. Not funny, but no other choice :-(

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
Update: After deleting Mavericks, erasing my HD, and a clean install of Snow Leopard, my computer still had problems that I attribute to the Mavericks installation. I took it to the Apple Genius and my computer is having surgery in Cupertino for a new Logic Board. However, the Genius was not 100% sure that was the problem, but it was most likely one. One of his tests showed a -128; not sure what that number means.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.