Blinking Folder Icon

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thesdx, Dec 23, 2007.

1. thesdx macrumors 6502a

My Mac just made my heart jump. When I rebooted, it just showed a blank grey screen for about 15 seconds. It then showed a folder with a blinking question mark. I had seen this before on iBooks at my school, and knew it wasn't a good sign. I held down the power button, and rebooted. This time, it started up without a hitch. Is this something I should be worried about?

2. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

This is the icon it shows if it can't find a copy of OS X to boot into. When you start up a computer, it looks at all the drives, disk drives, firewire etc to try to find OS X. If you saw that for an extended period of time, it is possible your hard drive is going south. Keep an eye on it and back up your stuff.

3. bobmc1239 macrumors newbie

Moved from Seattle to Oklahoma City, rad.
    It goes without saying that you should always have data you want to keep in multiple locations.

You might want to boot to a known good disk. Your computer came with a couple of gray discs. Insert the one titled 'disc one' into your machine and power it on holding the 'c' key. This will bring you to the installer. After the language menu, select the 'Utilities' tab on the menu bar and click on Disk Utility. There you have the option to verify your disk and "repair" it if necessary. After verifying your disk you are going to get one of two responses: happiness in green letters, or nastiness in red. You should book an appointment with your local Genius bar if you get the latter.

4. calebmedia macrumors member

Hey i just got the same problem except my didn't start working right... I tried booting via disc 1 but nothing happens when I start up holding the "C" key down. I just get a blank grey screen. Help PLEASE!!!

5. bobmc1239 macrumors newbie

Moved from Seattle to Oklahoma City, rad.
    Try this...

If holding the C key doesn't elicit a response, you can hold down the option key instead. You should get a screen with a few boot options, one should be Macintosh HD or whatever you named your hard drive, and the other should be the macintosh 10.x install disc. Choose the install disc and repeat proceed with running disk utility.

What model of computer do you have?

6. kudresov macrumors newbie

Similar problem

Hi, I am having similar problem. However my MacBook pro does recongise the hdd. I have tried everything, what I could find on different forums, then I just formatted the hard drive and installed leopard. However this didn't solve the problem. What is more I can run Linux live cd, so I tested hdd with SMART, and it seems to be absolutely all right. I just have no ideas what to do :confused: help!!

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Worried is a little strong at this point. Watchful, as already advised, is more like it. How old is the Mac? Is it still covered under AppleCare?

So, you get the blinking ? for awhile, and then it continues to boot up? If not, what is the problem? (And, if you've already tried everything, what more is there to do?) ;)