Blinking Folder Of Death! Help Replacing HDD With New SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jcarter995, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Jcarter995 macrumors newbie

*Late 2012 Macbook Pro 13" 2.5ghz i5 8gb ram*
    Hey everyone. I have been a lurker on these forms for a while and have recently joined so hello to all. I have searched around and found different answers regarding this issue. Keep in mind the only way to start my computer is through "internet recovery" and "macintosh HD" doesn't show up in disk utilities for the erase and re-install option.

So I have been told it is either a bad SATA cable or bad HD, and understand that a bad hd is the most likely issue. Either or, I want a new ssd anyways so a hd is a guranteed purchase and a new sata cable if need be. Anyhow, Since the late 2012 dont include disks to re-install the OSX Mtn Lion which it came with, how would I install this new ssd without discs or the old hdd?

I was told I could just buy a mx100 128gb ssd from crucial, install it into my macbook, then my macbook would install osx itself and I would be good to go. Is this true? If not, what would I ned to do to fix this issue? Thanks in advanced for the replies!

2. Mac Write macrumors member

Install the new SSD and then hold down Command R and use Internet recovery. The OS will be installed via the Internet.

3. Jcarter995 thread starter macrumors newbie

Seriously? thats it? just pop in the ssd, go to inter net recovery, then im good to go? Thats great if thats all I need to do! From my description of my problems, does it sound like the hard drive is the issue?

4. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

You'll have to use Disk Utility to initialize the new drive once you've booted into internet recovery, but otherwise, that's all there is to it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

----------

If the internal HDD isn't showing up in disk utility, it's either the drive or the cable.