Blinking Folder with question mark :'(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nateo200, Apr 20, 2012.

1. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

So Im getting the blinking folder with the question mark...I checked the support articles and did a search on here ...I did a PRAM reset and tried to hold the option key to select a disk and I jus got my mouse...it's a 2010 13" Macbook pro . Not sure what else to do as my warranty is over. I've got allot of stuff on this laptop..my sister has a MacBook pro so I might take my hard drive out and hook it to my USB to SATA kit and back everything up to my 1TB drive. Does anyone else have any OTHER suggestions? This is really a pain in the rear :(

2. iforbes macrumors 6502

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

4. iforbes macrumors 6502

He only said PRAM reset. Not the other 9 steps. :)

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I won't argue but he did mention the same support article. I assumed he got to the last step (reinstall the OS) and panicked due to a possible lack of backup.

6. iforbes macrumors 6502

ah yes...you could be quite right.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

But now that we're done bickering like kids, do you know if the macbook can boot from an external drive loaded with an OS?
    I forget.

8. iforbes macrumors 6502

nay...not bickering but all in good fun! :)

And, why yes, I believe you can boot your Macbook Pro from an external drive.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ T'was tongue in cheek. ;)

OP, got an external drive that you can hook to another Mac and load your OS onto that?

10. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yeah I have the 1TB but its got data on it already....

I did try the other steps save for the erasing everything because I don't have it backed up. My back up drive crashed and I just reformatted it a few days ago so I could back it up but now my MacBook won't load :mad: I want to do target disk mode but I don't have the proper FireWire cable for it (Please don't ask about the pins to "check", guys you've asked enough dumb questions, lol). I can't find my SATA to USB either which strikes that easy option out too....

11. LiquidSpikes, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012

LiquidSpikes macrumors regular

LiquidSpikes

12. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Well I'm about to crack open the two MacBooks and switch hard drives right now...is their any issue with that?

13. iforbes macrumors 6502

Yeah...don't rub your stockinged feet on new carpeting prior to touching the inside?

OMG...i am so helpful today.

Seriously...follow common practices and no worries....

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Are you seriously telling us we've asked dumb questions? If that is the case then sod off pal. We're only trying to help.

15. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

No not you I'm talking about whoever asked me if I checked an article I said i did in my OP. obviously not reading my OP :p

16. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Emergency transplant surgery on the hard drive reveals my drive boots on my sisters drive! Backing important stuff up now... This is weird though

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh then carry on!!

18. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Sorry for the confusion :eek::D

Well I just swapped back the drives...going to see if my MacBook will boot up...what could the issue be if I know the drive works just not in my computer? I have two hard drives and I tried disconnecting just the non-bootdrive but no dice...

19. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

I had a similar issue, my MBP was showing a folder with a question mark on it. I bought a new HDD and tried it out and it still didn't work, so I took it into the Apple Store. They quoted me like £100+ for a new hard drive, and I had no option but to accept it really, but when I went in to collect it they found that there was nothing wrong with the hard drive - it was actually just a faulty SATA cable. Cost me £12 in the end!