Blinking question mark folder - Please help to restore from USB

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by draxz, Jan 21, 2015.

1. draxz macrumors newbie

Hello,

I haven't been able to my Mac about 5 days now and I hope someone can help me.

I initially had Yosemite then using disk utility I erased the hard drive, after that I was going to install Yosemite again as a fresh copy and mac froze so I had to restart now its showing a blinking question mark folder. I was able to do an internet recovery but it was trying to install Lion.

I currently have a copy of Maverick and would like to install that. I am at this screen as show in the picture: I have selected the source as the Maverick file on
    the USB and the destination as the HD; should I click restore and would that install the Maverick OS or is there another way?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do an internet install of Lion, then upgrade to Yosemite.

3. draxz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, the problem is when I do an internet recovery and click install Lion, it says its not available any more.

Thats why I am trying to install it this way, will it work if I click restore?

4. Xeridionix macrumors regular

No it won't since that is just the combo updater and not the full OS X installer (based on your photo). Your best bet would be to download Mavericks again from the App Store using another Mac and your Apple ID if you had already downloaded it previously using that method (it'll be under the "Purchases" tab), otherwise you can download Yosemite.

From there, use the following instructions to create a USB flash drive with the OS X installer on it: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

If you don't have access to another Mac, you could always take your computer to an Apple store or an Authorized Service Provider and ask them to reinstall OS X for you.

Best of luck and have a great day. :)

5. draxz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I had downloaded Yosemite and installed it but unfortunately I dont have another Mac where I can download it again. I live in India which doesnt have an Apple store but I can check on the authorized stores.

Dumb question: I would presume there is no way to download a Mac OS on a windows computer and make a boot drive out of it correct?