Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macroduo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Now everyone knows that they are making an new MMO, not diablo 3 of course. Kinda exciting to guess what it is. As for me to the all possibilities of Blizzard's Next MMO, World of Starcraft probably gonna be the next one, a sci-fi MMO sounds so nice while there are tons of fantasy MMO out there. As one day i get bored and quit WOW, and there comes a WOS(world of starcraft) rocks so much, go go go.

mikeyPotg

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2006
Man that's tough... World of SC is always a possibility since its so different from WoW, they can TRY to maintain 2 completely different MMO's. I imagine they can make an SC mmo nonstop battles, similar to Planteside... but good.

But the way blizzard works to perfection with what they have, I don't see them working on 2 MMO's at the same time (aside from WOW and its sequel... they MUST be working on a sequel, not just an expo) unless they triple their work force.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Already saw (a few months ago at least) job postings for people and it was stated "to work on the next gen MMORPG" so who knows.

I would tend to lean towards Diablo anyway.

Warcraft went all the way to 3 then world of warcraft, why not diablo and keeping with 4th times a megahit.

I actually felt nostalgic and my son and I played warcraft and warcraft 2 the other night. Man good times.

ManWithhat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
When Roper left Blizzard he said there were 4 games in development, and one of them was a new franchise, and that we'd be happy with all of them.

3 games: WotLK (WoW expansion)
Diablo 3
Starcraft 2

Leaving the last to be a new franchise.

mikeyPotg

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2006
The only reason I'd assume an SC mmo is because of SC Ghost. Even though Blizz scraps projects that don't live up to their expectations (Adventures of Thrall or whatever), they still use some of the stuff they put into it, whether the graphics, story, or what (WoW).

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
They could have made Diablo III a MMORPG so easily.... WoW already has the same classes and game mechanics from Diablo II, and more. Just copypasta from WoW to WoD.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
They could have made Diablo III a MMORPG so easily.... WoW already has the same classes and game mechanics from Diablo II, and more. Just copypasta from WoW to WoD.
But WoW is already similar to Diablo in many ways, same classes, same themes (demons, etc.), same items (green/blue/purple, "of the Bear", etc.). The way I see it they already folded a lot of the Diablo elements into World of Warcraft (along with, obviously, Warcraft). So I don't really think they need a separate Diablo MMO, although I am looking forward to Diablo III as a diversion.

adamcz

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
I don't think they'll view it as a problem if two MMOs don't work side by side. They'll just support WoW as long as people continue to play it, and allow for the gradual ramp up of players on the new game at the same time.

Since they haven't announced the game yet, and aren't scheduled to appear at E3, there must be quite a lot of development time ahead. Assuming the release is still two years out (reasonable if they intend to release SC2 and D3 first), a time frame of 2010 will be a full 6 years after the release of WoW. That's longer than the lifespan of most gaming consoles, and Blizzard should be extremely satisfied with milking a gaming "generation" out of it.

Presumably they'll want to come up with another MMO that can also maintain a fan base for an entire gaming generation, so that type of a thing can't possibly be quick to build. They'll need an engine that can run on today's new computers (which will be two years old on release day), but the engine will need to be considered acceptable 7-8 years from now as well. They've got a great team, so I'm sure everything will turn out quite well.

SmartIndianKid

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2008
Hopefully nothing. Personally I think WoW butchered WarCraft. But as the Rolling Stones said, you can't always get what you want.

darklyt

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007

Beat me to it, thought it of immediately upon seeing the thread title lol.

I don't think a World/Galaxy/Universe of Starcraft would work too well because the game is not based on heroes like WC3 was. The units of the races of SC are much more impersonal than those in WC, so there isn't a good way to make the game work.

The fourth game from Blizzard will be very interesting. They could make a FPS out of SC (the characters you play in FPSs tend to be less personal/faceless as opposed to MMO), but I really hope that it is a completely new game. I'm interested as to what they could come up with that would be sufficiently distinct from the other three to make it unique.

Time will tell.

macroduo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Lost Vikings MMO would be nice.

On the other hand, a Diablo MMO would be even better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.