Bloated daily.out log due to buttonmanager notice

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lumail, Sep 16, 2011.

1. lumail, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

lumail macrumors newbie

I am running snow leapord on a 2ghz 667 mhz macbook, i noticed my hard drive free space was starting to diminish, I did some sleuthing and discovered that my daily.out log was 11 GB! I figured out how to get in there and have a look and it is jam packed with the following message

Thu Jun 23 16:28:48 lukas-myers-computer \[0x0-0xc00c\].N067U_ButtonManager[126] <Notice>: Looking for devices matching vendor ID=1193 and product ID=8717

that is a random date I chose, I haven't gone to the beginning of the cache to find out when it started as it would entail going back through 11 gb worth of messages. Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Okay, update on that, now I figured out that its a canon buttonmanager n067u that i found in my library under CFM but its not letting me delete it saying its "open". And I can't figure out how to delete the daily.out to get my 11 GB back. Any suggestions for this latest twist?

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Delete daily.out
    Don't worry it will get recreated when it's needed again.
    1. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
    2. Type: cd /private/var/log/
    3. Type: sudo rm daily.out
    4. Enter your password
    5. Quit Terminal

OR

Empty daily.out
    1. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
    2. Type: cd /private/var/log/
    3. Type: sudo -s
    4. Enter your password
    5. Type: > daily.out
    6. Quit Terminal

3. lumail thread starter macrumors newbie

Terminal being weird?

I tried to change to title of this but couldn't so its a bit misleading! It did work! Terminal not Weird.

WooHooo!

worked a charm, thanks Quad5ny, for spelling it out clearly. I have never used Terminal and was terrified of somehow disabling something permanently but I have recovered 11 gb. great stuff.

Now I just need to get rid of those pesky button managers! And now, in looking for them, I can't track them down! I found them yesterday in Library-CFMSupport but that has mysteriously disappeared. I opened my console and sure enough the message is back and packing in 7 MB already this morning. How do I seek and destroy? I know they are a Canon Scanner thing and I want them gone! I have tried to spotlight N067U_ButtonManager and nothing comes up.

-

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

System preferences -> accounts -> login items will show you what gets started when you login - you can disable it.

5. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Did you have a scanner with a "One touch" button or something?

Anyway your most likely looking for a plist thats starting something for the scanner. Although its odd that it's dumping it's errors into daily.out (very sloppy programing).

Add the "File Visible or Invisible" & "System Files are Included" to your Spotlight search filters and then do a search for buttonmanager again. If that does not work try a search for cannon.

6. lumail thread starter macrumors newbie

Do I need CFM support?

Okay thanks, i found the two button managers in my login and deleted them. I have an old Brother printer/scanner/copier that has its own little interface program that might be the thing that is causing the problem. I did find the CFM Support folder and I assumed it was specific to that so i tried to trash the whole thing. when I went to empty trash its telling me that four items can't be trashed because they are in use, specifically NO67U_ButtonManager, N067U_Library.shlb, N124U_ButtonManager and N124U_Library.shlb. I have superemptytrash which usually does the trick but I wanted to make sure I'm not getting rid of anything vital! Do you think I can just try and super empty trash it? Or should i start up again with those button managers no longer starting up at login and see if they can get trashed?

7. lumail thread starter macrumors newbie

CFM trashed, daily.out empty!

All is well, thanks for the help!