Blob Icons

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by computergeek, Sep 27, 2008.

1. computergeek macrumors member

hello, I just downloaded the set of blob icons from the martin lexow website and was just how i apply these to my dock. Do i have to use candybar? Any help would be great.

Thanks
    Computergeek

2. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I used these instructions to install icons from interfacelift.com:
    Hope this helps.:)

3. computergeek thread starter macrumors member

Ok did what u said the only one that won't change is dashboard for some reason

also if you do it that way how do u go back to the orginals?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Bring up the Get Info window for the item in question. Select custom icon by clicking it once. Hit delete.

5. computergeek thread starter macrumors member

so i tied to copy and paste the icon for vmware but when i try to paste it. it just does nothing not sure why

6. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I have specific document folders on my dock. I can change their icons in finder, but on the dock they are still the same boring look. How do I get my folder icons on the dock to change?

7. computergeek thread starter macrumors member

yea i am having the same problem as well...have u tired in the terminal killall Dock it reloads the dock?

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well, if you are using 10.5 anyhow dragging a standard folder to the right side of the dock places it there as a stack. Choosing Display as Folder (in 10.5.2 or later) rather than Display as Stack will allow the folder to appear with the icon you have pasted on it, as in my example below which uses a custom I set I developed for my wood themed look.

Attached Files:

9. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

no i haven't, I'm not that familiar with the terminal, is that the exact command?

Edit: Thanks sickmacdoc! That did the trick.:p

10. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

The dashboard and the finder icons are two that cannot be changed by the standard get info/paste method. You can either dig into the resources of the files themselves, or make it simple and use either Candy Bar or the free Lite Icon to change them directly.

If you use the paste method on normal files and want to get the original icon, do a Get Info on the file, click the little icon on the top left to highlight it and then choose Edit-->Cut ( or press command-X). That should clear the icon that was pasted on top of the original.

11. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

you could just press delete on the icon to revert to the originals

12. computergeek thread starter macrumors member

yes delete works fine. There is a couple icons that won't let me change. VMWare. I got to copy and paste and it won't change it just stays the same. is there anything else that i need to do?

13. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I don't have an answer to that one, but LiteIcon seems to be working well for me. And, it's free. It changed everything I needed to change.