Block a Number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by timerollson, Oct 6, 2010.

1. timerollson macrumors 65816

Is there a way (app wise, AT&T, etc.) to block a specific number from contacting you? I have someone who keeps texting/calling after a certain hour while I'm sleeping and it's ****ing annoying since I have to wake up early. Seriously, I wake up around 5AM and this idiot wants to spark convo at 12AM when I'm already asleep.

I don't want to risk turning off my iPhone (God forbid, there's an emergency with one of my family members) but this person is BEYOND annoying. Last resort would be changing my phone number but I've had it for years and it's only one person who seems to have no regard for people who are employed.

Sidenote: I hope Apple allows customized profiles in future OS updates. That's one thing I'll give to my old Blackberry. I loved having people on a completely silent profile. :(

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Add them as a contact with a custom ringer of silence.

3. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

if that doesn't work you can get a parental feature on attwireless.com that will block numbers. i think they charge $5 a month.

4. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Well if you've Jailbroken your phone there is a great app called iBlacklist.

Works for calls, text, SMS. Flawless.

5. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

or fight 'fire with fire' and be just as annoying with them ;)

Ant

6. lnferno macrumors 6502

A big 2nd for iBlacklist. OP -- I have the EXACT same problem as you. Because of my work, I need to have my phone on all the time. If someone has a legimate issue and they need to contact me in the middle of the night, I'm perfectly fine with that, but I'm not okay with people sending me stupid text messages that wake me up for no good reason. My cousin works the graveyard shift and during his break (in the wee hours of the morning) will send me stupid text mesages and stuff that wakes me up. I've asked him to stop, but he continues to send them. For example, on 9/11, he sent me a text at like 4 in the morning that read "9/11 - never forget!". I'm like seriously?! If you didn't send me that text, I would have never remembered the terrible tragedy that happened. :rolleyes:

If you are jailbroken, iBlacklist is the APP that solves problems such as this. It's nice because you can configure it pretty granular in terms of turning off texts vs. calls and whatnot.

If you are not jailbroken, you can pay a monthly fee and control a blacklist from AT&T's site.

7. jaydentaku macrumors member

I tried the free trial of iblacklist, it did nothing unfortunately. Needless to say, I didn't buy it.

Which is a shame, it obviously works for some, but why not me? hmm

8. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

Give you "friend" a call a couple of times at 5:00 am when you get up. I guarantee he'll get the message.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What do you mean it doesn't work for you?
    If you know how to use it it does do what it's supposed to.

10. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

True. A friend of a wife made a habit of calling her at 6am when friend woke up. Stopped after I called her at 3am while I was up with the baby.

11. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

+1 for iBlacklist, it's the main reason why I want/need a jailbreak now.

I remember when I was setting it up there are a few little options that actually turn it on, took me a little while to get it right. Just keep fiddling with the settings.

12. RogersDA macrumors 6502

Set up a Google Voice account (which can be forwarded to your cell # if you want), give that GV number to your friend (tell him that it's your new cell #), then (a) set your GV account to block that number or (b) set your GV account to be on a very long Do Not Disturb (days or hours).

13. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

best answer.

14. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Or, just set it up so he is just blocked at night. That way he can still call you during the day, but won't be waking you up at night

15. RogersDA macrumors 6502

Never saw that setting in GV. Show me?

16. GSA190 macrumors member

GSA190

I wish I could block my mothers number. Talk about annoying!:cool:

17. jaydentaku macrumors member

Thanks for your useful advice, I will try that and see if it helps. (sarcasm)

18. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

yes it's called "smart limits" you can block up to ten numbers at once

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Alot of people have problems with iblacklist not blocking all calls or texts with cracked versions or the app. Perhaps that was your problem;)

20. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Contact the police and put a restraining order on them, then they have to stop, especially if you have their number.

21. jcole31 macrumors regular

Perhaps I'm missing something, but since this is someone that you know, rather than some telemarketing company that is bugging you, just tell the person to F off and stop. No need to be passive aggressive and block them, just be aggressive.

22. timerollson thread starter macrumors 65816

You don't think I've done that already?:rolleyes: I've told 'em numerous times and now they're trying to be funny by texting at said times.

---
    BTW, thanks everyone for your tips.

23. jcole31 macrumors regular

24. timerollson thread starter macrumors 65816

Glad you think you know everything about the situation. I've told this person directly to stop but now it's a joke to them. So they do it for ***** and giggles.

But thanks for your contribution. Oh wait. What was your point in this thread again?