Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Veerasayz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2020
I know we have several ad blockers which block ads within safari browser. But is there any app ( VPN kind of) which blocks ads across all apps. I came across Adguard VPN but I cannot afford yearly subscription charges. Please advise.

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2021
You can also do an ad-blocking DNS on your router if you just care about it at home over wifi. Then you block ads on all your PCs and tablets too.

For Android, I have used Blokada, which blocks it at a system level, but Apple does not allow those kinds of apps. It's available for iOS too, but isn't that deep system level.

vded

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2021
You can also do an ad-blocking DNS on your router if you just care about it at home over wifi. Then you block ads on all your PCs and tablets too.

For Android, I have used Blokada, which blocks it at a system level, but Apple does not allow those kinds of apps. It's available for iOS too, but isn't that deep system level.

Indeed, in above post in method 2 there’s an option for router dns blocking by AdGuard.

Veerasayz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2020

Not sure what exactly happened. I reinstalled Adguard and set up DNS filter and it worked this time. Feeling relaxed. Anyway to block on mobile network also along with WiFi?

Last edited:

RazaIsmail

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2020
NextDNS- you can add multiple filters and block whatever you want - ads, trackers, malware etc … its free

tosbsas

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru
NextDNS- you can add multiple filters and block whatever you want - ads, trackers, malware etc … its free
well, kind of - its limited to a certain amount of use, after that you have to pay :-(( real free DNS ad blocking is only possible with adguard public dns or control-D (with limits to the things you can block)

RazaIsmail

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2020
Yes 300 000 DNS queries/month … its quite a lot for my needs, i use around 100 000/month

Choco Taco

Suspended
Nov 23, 2022

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
make ur own vpn (wireguard) and ad/track block with that. like all other options, nextdns, adguard dns etc miss so much, and also have tons of false positives. i have 2.1million lines on my custom block list

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I temporarily installed the „Hola“ VPN add on for Chrome and then „flew“ to Turkey, opened YouTube and it will show the price of Premium in Lira instead of $. Once subscribed, you no longer need the vpn. However, I would recommend to use a new Google account for this (YouTube). I had issues getting the purchase through on my existing Google account before. I also don’t want to get my main Google account banned (didn’t happen in 3+ years of doing this but there is always the possibility)

Last edited:

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Yes 300 000 DNS queries/month … its quite a lot for my needs, i use around 100 000/month
As far as I know, I’m not paying anything for it. I’m well above 300,000 queries for the last 30 days.

Attachments

• IMG_7745.png
    IMG_7745.png
    243.4 KB · Views: 101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.