Block applications from using dedicated GPU in MBP 16"?

tjedora

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
Hey guys,

Is there an global option (on OS level) to prevent an app from using the dedicated GPU?
Djay Pro 2 uses the 5500M which kicks off the fans audibly and drains battery life. Unfortunately the app has no switch in it's options to disable the GPU.

Thanks a lot! :)

seangrimes590

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
Villanova, PA
Curious, have you personally tried this with MBP 16"? Any experience using this with eGPU? Have not seen any notes about MBP 16" compatibility and does not look like it's been updated in quite some time.
Works fine for the 16" for the most part. There are some OS limitations going on where, according to the dev, Apple isn't resetting the dynamic switching flag and it will occasionally lock to the discrete chip, particularly coming out of sleep. This is easily fixed if no app is using the dGPU by swapping back to integrated only. No experience with using it with an eGPU.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2017
Curious, have you personally tried this with MBP 16"? Any experience using this with eGPU? Have not seen any notes about MBP 16" compatibility and does not look like it's been updated in quite some time.
Yes it does work with my 5300M, I use it to play World of Warcraft due to a bug... No idea regarding eGPU mate haven't got one unfortunately. Do have a RTX 2070 Ti on my desktop which I could try to connect it via a thunderbolt dongle tho....

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Hey guys,

Is there an global option (on OS level) to prevent an app from using the dedicated GPU?
Djay Pro 2 uses the 5500M which kicks off the fans audibly and drains battery life. Unfortunately the app has no switch in it's options to disable the GPU.

Thanks a lot! :)
This worked for me:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8160651

I have my machine rigged to only use the IGP when on battery power, but to switch automatically when plugged in.