iPad Block carrier from knowing am using an iPad?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by JazzG, Jun 10, 2012.

1. JazzG macrumors member

Not sure if this is allowed here so apologies if not. I've got a data only SIM card which is supposed to be used only on a smartphone however recently the carrier has clocked onto the fact that I'm using an iPad and has blocked the sim from working. Is there anything out there to stop the carrier knowing I'm using an iPad?

2. Dima470 macrumors regular

Dima470

you should be able to use your sim in your new iPad perfectly fine if the carrier of your iPad matches the SIM carrier. If not you might need to do an unlock on your iPad.

3. JazzG thread starter macrumors member

My iPad is unlocked but the carrier is detecting that I'm using an iPad and blocking the internet on it. When I put the sim in an iPhone it works fine however in the iPad whatever page I open I get redirected to a page saying my sim is blocked and that my sim should not be used in a tablet or dongle!!

4. winterny macrumors 6502

You probably won't be able to do anything about it, as they are most likely detecting the iPad via the IMEI number, which can not be changed.

Out of curiosity, what carrier is doing this?

5. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Must be AT&T because Verizon allows it.

6. JazzG thread starter macrumors member

3 mobile, sorry should of said I'm based in the UK

7. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Can you tell us how you unlock an ipad? I've been JBing since iphone3G and never heard of an locked ipad.

8. JazzG thread starter macrumors member

My previous iPad 2 was locked to Vodafone, bought it 2nd hand. I put £20 on a sim card rang them up and they unlocked it for me. Charged me £19.99 I believe, best way of doing it IMO as ive found the JB method to be unreliable at times

9. winterny macrumors 6502

iPad is always sold unlocked in most countries (notably: USA), but it is sold locked in some countries.

10. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Wow. Never heard of an iPad being locked. There isn't any unlock from the dev team.

11. JazzG thread starter macrumors member

Maybe just in the UK this is the case but to my knowledge if you buy an iPad from a carrier they usually lock it. If you are in a contract some of them will unlock free of charge otherwise usually charge like £20 to get it unlocked!

I've never used the JB method for my iPad if I'm being honest but was very hit and miss on one of my iPhones. Luckily was with O2 previously and they agreed to unlock it for me free of charge!

12. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Did you try putting in a different data SIM?

Also on the UK apple site the iPad is sold unlocked, i never heard any iPad being locked to specific carrier.

13. JazzG thread starter macrumors member

The SIM works fine, however my network knows that I'm using a SIM which isn't meant to be used on an iPad and thus are blocking my network access. I get reception and the only site that works is the networks site!

My iPad is unlocked as well as I bought it directly from Apple.

14. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

You have an iphone as well?

If so you can use UDIDfaker, it will look like safari is on your iphone is accessing the internet.
    Need to be jailbroken though

15. JazzG thread starter macrumors member

16. pixelshaders macrumors member

It's basically impossible. Carrier id you device using IMEI on GSM network, ESN on CDMA. Unless you know how to hack the baseband & change those numbers.

17. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

OP: nothing you can do except change carriers....I'm with O2 (UK) I don't have a 3g iPad, mines wifi only, but O2 allow tethering (at a price) and you won't have issues with your iPad either...They would just provide you another sim.

18. JazzG thread starter macrumors member

I might just call them up and see if I can blag a good deal on an iPad SIM card, the wife uses it a lot and likes streaming so might as well pay a bit more rather than faff around!

Thanks for all the help though!