Block certain images on FireFox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bethany-Wings, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Bethany-Wings macrumors member

Bethany-Wings

Is there something I can use to block certain images on the internet? There seems to be someone following me around on Gaia Online, posting in the topics I'm subscribed to. I even got a private message with an image in there. I just need something to block certain images, not all images from a site. Just certain ones.

Help? Is there an application? Or something I can add onto Firefox to block certain images?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Would it not be better to report the offender?

Anyway, Clevin is your man on this forum for all things Firefox

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Yes, if you use Firefox you can download the Adblock Plus add-on, which allows you to right-click on any image and add it to the 'blocked' list.

4. Bethany-Wings thread starter macrumors member

Bethany-Wings

I've TRIED reporting the offender...but it's about 20 different users! And whenever I TRY to go back from the post, my browser crashes from the sheer size of the stupid image.

Adblock Plus? I'm assuming you have to pay money for that...I have none...:( I'm completely flat broke...but, thanks for the help there.

Clevin? I'll try him...thanks.

5. Bethany-Wings thread starter macrumors member

Bethany-Wings

Wait...hang on...I found that add-on...thanks!

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Right, adblock plus is free. As long as the image in question can be identified by a wildcard -- i.e. it either always has the same URL or at least some part such as the image name is the same -- you can block it with adblock. You can use the asterisk as a wildcard. So, for instance, if the image is always named "troll.jpg", you could block it with the filter

*troll.jpg*

... Although that would also block any other image that ends in troll.jpg, so be careful on that front.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

sorry im late, but glad you got it, there are many knowledgeable person here :D congrats, adblock+ is the #1 popular firefox extension, you are in good hand.:D

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Here I was singing your praises and you are late to the party!

Tsk, Tsk!

Do pay attention Clevin!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, Thanks, I do appreciate it ;)

10. Bethany-Wings thread starter macrumors member

Bethany-Wings

Well, if you recommend it so much, I'll DEFINITELY be keeping it on, then!! ^__^ Thank-you for the help! It sure helped get that nasty thing off! :D

Thanks a bunch, you guys!!