block flash add in glimmer blocker?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by dacoolest, Apr 20, 2012.

1. dacoolest macrumors regular

I installed glimmerblocker and I have successfully made custom rules to block certain image files on a website. But the same website contains a flash add and I couldn't find a way to block it. I used the image location to block the image file. But how do I do the same with the glimmer blocker? Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The Flash is probably served up from a third party web site. In Safari go to Window/Activity in the menu and look for links to .swf files. Note what URL they are coming from and block that URL.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. dacoolest thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

5. dacoolest thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, I tried to get the URL of the SWF file and create a new rule with it. But still the flash content is appearing on the web page, although if I insert the direct link of the swf i get an empty page when the GlimmerBlocker is running. I would like to configure glimmer blocker to block flash ads as well, other than blocking all flash contents in the page. Any advices?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

ClickToFlash is a better tool for blocking Flash content. Why are you trying to use GlimmerBlocker for that?

7. dacoolest thread starter macrumors regular

I tried ClickToFlash and its a bit annoying when its blocking each and every flash element on the webpage. I like to have a tool with functionality similar to adblocking extensions that would let me to specify which flash element is to be blocked.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You may want to try Adblock for Safari then instead of Glimmerblocker. The downside to Glimmblocker is as you are finding it is a little harder to determine exactly what to block. Adblock for Safari will allow you to block a site element just by right clicking.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can simply right-click on a site and allow all Flash on a domain. You can whitelist selected sites so it never blocks Flash on those sites.

10. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Have you tries Ghostery? A very good adblocker.

11. dacoolest thread starter macrumors regular

12. BobWolf macrumors newbie

Flash ad blocker?

I installed Chrome and AdBlock and found that flash ads were blocked. But on Safari they are not. Safari and AdBlock still get the flash ads. Anyone have the same issue?
    Does it mean that AdBlock works better on Chrome than Safari?