Block HTML5 animation?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by klaxamazoo, Oct 2, 2011.

1. klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

Is there a way to disable or block HTML5 animation?

Currently I can block annoying advertisements by simply using noscript to disable java and by also turning off Flash. But I don't think these methods will work for HTML5 animation and I want to know what, if anything can be done to block any HTML5 animation.

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I don't know of any yet but html5 usage is still quite rare something like that will show up eventually.
    It is not that much harder than blocking Flash. A User Java Script could do the job.

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Flash is much easier to block as it's a plugin. You simply block anything that is a Flash file.

"HTML5 Animation" covers a lot of different technologies (Canvas, SVG, CSS Transitions etc.) and it will be harder to just say "don't allow SVG" or "don't allow CSS Transitions" on a page as that will cripple functionality too much.

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Why on earth would you want to? Have you got a vendetta against open standards?

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I'm sure there'll be something unique to all ads since a lot of them are served up by very few ad companies. Someone will be able to write up definitions like adblock can now.

Clearly you've jumped the gun a bit.

You're thinking he's against email, when he doesn't want email spam.

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Allegorical spaghetti.

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

In the end HTML5 in a website is just a bunch of Tags. Stuff that you can manipulated, replace, delete easy enough with a User Java Script. Yes it is a lot more than changing one element but that doesn't make it anymore difficult just a bit more work.
    Of course you cripple functionality a bit but so does disabling flash. Since it is quite a lot of tags you can only disable/exchange specific ones which gives you a lot more choice to keep much functionality and disable the stuff that eats mostly juice. Flash is a pure on/off in comparison.

8. klaxamazoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies everyone. It sounds like someone could make a blocking script if/when HTML5 animations start getting out of control.

I'm sure there is a lot of potential utility to them, but 99% of animations seem to be used in annoying advertisements and it is really nice to just shut them down at a browser level. Thank goodness for noscript, it works wonders against current advertising methods.

----------

I have nothing against open standards, I just hate annoying animation in ads and content. Currently you can stop this by disabling either Javascript and/or flash, but it will be harder in HTML5 because the animation layer is built directly into the language. The vast majority of my browsing does not need nor utilize java, flash or any animation stuff, so disabling these features improves my experience.

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I don't think you understand how SVG, Canvas and CSS Transitions work.

SVG and Canvas only use one tag.

CSS Transitions don't use ANY tag!