Block incoming call / sms

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by steffna, Jun 17, 2011.

1. steffna macrumors newbie

Is there any way to block incoming calls / sms from a specific number on iphone4?
    A good fiend of mine is getting calls/ sms from a stalker and is desperate for a solution which does not require her to change her phone number or jailbreak her iphone.
    Grateful for your help.

2. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Nope. att offers a feature where they can block numbers it does cost around $5/m

3. dave420 macrumors 65816

It is not psosible from the phone. Your provider may offer this feature. AT&T will do it for $5 a month.

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

And if it is an actual stalking/menacing situation, you should definitely contact the police.

5. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

I use iblacklist from cydia....works great! But none if ur not jailbroken..... One of the only reasons I jb my phone..:D

6. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

Verizon service does it for free and it works very well...but it only stays blocked for a while.

I'm all in for calling the police.

7. azmacguy macrumors newbie

If your friend has Verizon she can log into her VRZ account and block them there. As stated, the block number is only good for a period of time...90 days I believe. Once the 90 days is up she'd have to go back into her account and relist them as blocked calls, this would buy her another 90 days.

Cheers!

8. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I would contact the police promptly, this appears to be a serious issue

9. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I don't think there's any easy way to do it without jailbreaking (iBlacklist was mentioned) that won't cost you money or involve changing your number. But for future incidents, what I do now is give out my Google Voice number then later give me real number to people. With GV you can block numbers.

10. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

Jailbreak then get iBlacklist

or just ignore, they'll stop

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

What I've done is use a "silent" ringtone. So if telemarketers, idiots, etc. call in I merely add their number to the "Do not answer" contact that has the silent ringtone. I'll hear their call once, but then never again.

Not sure how to block sms messages tho.

12. saberahul macrumors 68040

I believe iOS 5 may have a solution for this...

13. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

You can on Android, and from the phone..haha. It wont ring and dont know what the other end hears , but all it does is show up as a missed call on the phone. There is a blacklist option on SMS but ive never used it.

14. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

...how? I couldn't find it

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That really helps the OP you know:rolleyes:

16. zOdeac macrumors member

If any APPLE developers at Apple read this please allow this option in iOS. if you added this i would not really care to Jailbreak!

At this point i only Jailbreak for iblacklist. I did at one point do it for the unlock but now i have an factory unlocked phone the only thing i care for is iblacklist!

17. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Well i have a Galaxy S (Vibrant). I go to call logs,tap the number i want to block, tap menu and then "add to reject list"

Im sure it will help someone though ;). Maybe they have two phones. Seems many do for some reason.

18. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

With iblacklist you can block numbers that aren't in your phonebook,blocked numbers, text messages, and you can pick as many people to block in your phonebook as you want.... You can also pick diffrent actions the blocked callers will hear when they call you... Busy signal, voicemail and a few more... And it's for as long as you want or you can do it for 1 day...you can also go into the app and see how many times the fool tried to call... Lol... I love it

19. jas1973 macrumors 6502

best solution for this is to not block the number, but to contact the authorities, plain and simple,

20. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

If there is legal issues behind it in my opinion the carrier should do it for free. If its just your mom asking you to pick up her panty hoes at the laundry mat too much or your annoying ex-girlfriend then you should have to pay :D:D:D;) I know on Verizon I can do it for free.

21. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

could you expand on that? i've seen the option to block numbers on verizon's website when i'm logged into my account but i've never explored it.

22. gmia macrumors newbie

Block Unwanted Calls on Iphone 4(At&t)

At&t offers a program called "SMART LIMITS" which can block up to 30 numbers for $4.99 a month but you have to have the number that is calling you. If the person is calling unknown or blocked you can simply forward the calls to your home number and set your home number(which should be a landline) to not except blocked numbers. Most landlines feature a option that is called simultaneous ring which will make all other unmasked numbers ring on your cell phone while eliminating the harassing calls. Temporary fix until At&t can block private calls directly, which is rumored to happen early 2012. This should help someone.:)

23. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Probably not relevant to the OP but Google Voice can easily block the calls and even offers the following options:

1. Send caller straight to voicemail & delete voicemail automatically with no notifications.
    2. Present caller with a number not in service message.

Not sure about SMS though. Granted, GV has its caveats.