Block Limewire on my network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Verschoren, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Verschoren macrumors regular

Verschoren

Hey

I currently manage the wireless network at my home and my sister keeps on downloading massive amounts of data by the limewire network.
    Not all of it is illegal, but anyway, that's not the point.

The problem is: it eats all the bandwidth and in Europe we still have those fracking bandwidth limitations so by the 2nd week of the month, our broadband is turned into smallband because we reached our monthly maximum.

Now, is there a way to block limewire from connectiing to the internet, without completely blocking my sister's internet access?

Our network consists of 2 Airport Extreme's in bridge mode (both in N), on one of these extreme's there's an Airport Express in B/G mode which is the one my sister connects to with her iMac.

I was thinking of blocking some ports on the Airport Express, but I have no idea how to block them, or which ports to block...

any help?

2. mcnees287 macrumors newbie

Tell your sister to stop downloading from limewire?

3. Verschoren thread starter macrumors regular

Verschoren

I tried that already :)

But where not really agreeing lately..

4. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

take it off the computer, password protect your account and set her up an account with limited access.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You should be able to block certain services, or only enable ports 80, 81, and 21, which will allow HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP services.
    I would also suggest that you explain this situation and how she is impacting everyone. Suggest she limit here downloads to one or two per day.
    Or you could simply enable MAC filtering on your network and don't add her system to the Access List.

TEG

6. Verschoren thread starter macrumors regular

Verschoren

I tried to explain, but she's 13, turning 14, terrible age ;)

Thanks for the ports, I'll try those then.

And yes.. I'll talk to my parents first before I implement it:cool: