Block swear word on msn for mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stephenxiii, Sep 27, 2009.

1. stephenxiii macrumors regular

stephenxiii

Right its probably a simple fix, i have a 12 year old brother with
    behavioral problems and constantly swears on msn and gets into bother.

so we are trying to block certain words on msn for mac, is there a certain way of doing this or do we need to it through our bb router?

Thanks for your help guys

2. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Don't know of any, but maybe this ADHD cure could be modified to work:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/959427/adhd_cure_southpark/
    :D:D

I think you best bet is to monitor the kid, either in person, or save the conversations and review them later.

There is an option to automatically save the conversation, it is under preferences, history, check the save conversation box, then choose the always save conversations without asking button.

3. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

This is a bit of an iffy work around but i know of an app called typinator it is designed to correct common spelling mistakes such as "teh" being replaced with "the" but has the functionality to add your own so you could replace the swear words with nothing (or a space if that isn't allowed) or something that means the same but less offensive. **** -> poop :p

Hope it helps.

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Isn't there something on Parental Controls for this? Which just blocks out offensive language in general?

It may be an idea to put a password on the applications/websites for MSN if he continues to do it.

5. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

At the moment you/his parents are not correcting his behavior, just covering it up (or attempting to) with technological fixes that wont work (what you ask is impossible), so its no wonder he continues to have problems. Each time he does it, ban him for a period. Extend the ban each time. Even a dog would learn from that so I'm sure he will.