Block "unknown callers" on iPhone 5 iOS 8.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by npodsiadlo, Jan 10, 2015.

1. npodsiadlo macrumors newbie

Hello, I am receiving calls from a bill collector that blocks their number using *67. So by unknown caller I don't mean somebody that I don't know, I mean it literally says unknown and I don't have the option to block the way you would block any other number. Is there like a Cydia tweak or anything that I can get to block these calls? I am getting so irritated they cAll at least 10 times a day minimum. And yes I understand that paying off my bill is one way but unfortunately I don't have a magic fairy that ***** gold.

2. npodsiadlo thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is a picture.

Attached Files:

3. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

iBlacklist on Cydia will block both unknown and blocked numbers, among other things.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

There is no way to do this on stock iOS. As mentioned above, there are some jailbreak tweaks that can do it.

But if you continue to avoid debt collectors they will use everything within their power to get that money. In some cases they can even dip into your paycheck (before you receive the money).

I had this issue when I had to take 6 months off of grad school for financial reasons and that triggered my student loan payback. I picked up the phone after avoiding a few dozen calls and finally just leveled with them. The only reason I was having to pay back is because I left school since I couldn't afford not to work at the time. They could feel free to take money straight out of my paycheck, but that would likely put me on the street, cause me to lose my job, and they wouldn't get anywhere near the entire sum I owed them in the process. Long story short, they were nice and offered me a deferment.

I have no idea what your financial situation is, so I am not trying to advise you how to go, just letting you know my own experiences.

5. npodsiadlo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I understand and thank you for the advice. But it is just a measly $200ish credit card bill. I don't make a lot of money so I could either pay my rent every month or pay that so yeah, I'll work it out eventually. Just dont want to talk to them on the phone everyday lol.

----------

Do you have any expereince with this tweak on IOS 8? My device is jailbroken, so not an issue.

6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Yes. I've run it on iOS 8 on an iPhone 6 for a bit over two months now. Runs fine, and for me, it's worth every penny. This is the third iPhone I've used it on. (My phone number used to be used for a small business, and still gets published to cold call lists periodically even though the business has been gone five years.)

7. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

LOOOLZ. Sorry to hear you're having some financial probs broc. Just answer the call and tell them you'll pay it next week. Should buy you some time.

8. scat999999 macrumors regular

Use "Do Not Disturb", and set it to only ring for numbers on your contact list. Other numbers go straight to voice mail. They'll probably hang up, or you can just delete the VM without listening to it.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

don't trash your credit over $200! Borrow dat money :)

That is a really good suggestion.

10. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

This is only useful if you don't use notifications for any of your other apps. That includes Messages, Calendar, Mail, etc...all notifications are blocked when DND is on.

Sorry, that's not a practical suggestion for the majority of users.

11. npodsiadlo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes and I need to be able to receive calls and texts from random numbers because i make a little money on the side fixing people's iPhones on Craigslist