Block updates ideas (iOS firewall?)

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by jago25_98, Apr 25, 2017.

1. jago25_98 macrumors newbie

At some point I'm going to have to block updates as otherwise the phone will slow much as has happened with my iPad in the past and unable to jailbreak to fix it. So I need to get control and stop apple from breaking it... How do i prevent that update nag?

Some people block the apple update server on their WiFi spot but I wondered if this could be done on the phone itself without a jailbreak?

Alternatively perhaps I could jailbreak just to kill the update nags and then un-jailbreak / not actually use the jailbreak.

2. cswifx Suspended

cswifx

No, you can't block Apple update servers device-wide. If you're on a jailbreakable version of iOS, you can probably jailbreak it and break OTA updates (not recommended, jailbreaking opens security holes on your device).

3. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Don't think Apple would allow this as this is their main market point.
    Plus, it is pretty darn difficult to prevent iOS from checking updates in a wifi network because you don't have control of all wifi.

4. mazdamiata210 Suspended

...just install the tvos config file and no more updates

5. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

I think you can deal with "slowness" to continue getting the necessary security updates. Just because you have never been compromised doesn't mean you never will be!

6. Audigy macrumors member

Audigy

You have several options do block OTA updates/downloads in iOS:

• You can install the tvOS beta profile;
    • You can use a proxy configuration file(with the .js extension) with this content:
    Code:
    function FindProxyForURL(url) {
       if (shExpMatch(url, "*://mesu.apple.com/*") || shExpMatch(url, "*://appldnld.apple.com/*")) {
       return "PROXY 8.8.8.8:53";
       }
    return "DIRECT";
    }