Block websites?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by 7Deuce, Mar 24, 2011.

1. 7Deuce macrumors newbie

Hey, newbie programmer here. I would like to write a program that can block a website during a given time of day. I've read around a bit and it seems one possibility would be to write a script that edits /etc/hosts and use launchd/cron(?) to make it run at the desired times. What other ways are there of doing this? I would be looking to do this in python.

2. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I think this is the most efficient way, /etc/hosts and cron/launchd being the most low level tools for this.

Eventually you might not use cron/launchd and use your own way of timing. But /etc/hosts is for me the way to go.

3. Hansr macrumors 6502a

+1 for /etc/hosts

An alternative is an SOCKS proxy for all traffic or an in browser solution like Leechblock.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Use Celery (a Python framework). It works great as a cron replacement and is extremely powerful. You'll appreciate the fact that you learnt it in many other projects as well.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you are behind a NAT router/gateway you could also try blocking the site there.

B

6. 7Deuce thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the ideas guys.

What kind of things did you have in mind when you said 'your own way of timing'?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Cromulent mentioned Celery.

B