Blockbuster Delisted from the stock market

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JediZenMaster, Jul 3, 2010.

1. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

2. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

It's not like I have some sentimental attachment to Blockbuster, but it's a shame that they had such a strong brand and somehow managed to blow it (*cough* Netflix *cough*).

3. Xavier macrumors 68020

Not only in store, but too bad they didn't have the money to advertise their online servie.

They do have a Netflix like service. I've used it many times.

My sister works for Blockbuster. The end of Blockbuster has been approaching for awhile.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

FWIW, the grocery store near me just replaced their Blockbuster kiosk with a Redbox one.

Probably not indicative of much, since it's just one location.

5. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

A real shame. I went to Blockbuster a couple of weeks ago and they've got some stonking deals. I guess it's a last-minute attempt to improve sales. I hope they go online or something because I really liked going down to the store, as old fashioned as that may be nowadays :D

6. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I'm still confident that they will stay in business for a long time to come. They are far better than Netflix. Blockbuster: Mail rental (like Netflix) + Digital rentals + plus physical store rentals = should be a win. Netflix did the mail rental first, though....and so grabbed everyone's mindshare. Now, even though Blockbuster is better than Netflix, overall.....Netflix has too much of the mindshare lead.

I love going into physical stores to browse movies. There is no way to do that easily online. With Blockbuster, you get the best of all worlds. No late fees, either!

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Forget physical stores. The margins no longer support that business model. Blockbuster will adapt or die.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- now if the same would just happen to Starbucks and WalMart, the world would be a better place. ;)

I vote for "die".