Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Blockbuster Seeking to Bring Movie Downloads to Apple Devices?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Reuters reports today on a deal between TiVo and Blockbuster that will allow TiVo subscribers to download to their set-top boxes films offered through Blockbuster's OnDemand service. Looking beyond the TiVo agreement, a senior executive at Blockbuster revealed the company's intentions to pursue bringing a similar service to Apple's products.
"You will see us in a large number of other devices going forward," said Kevin Lewis, senior vice president of digital entertainment at Blockbuster, who added that the company also plans to makes its system available to Apple Inc's products. "We need to be in the normal places that consumers want to watch movies," he said.
It is unclear whether Apple shares Blockbuster's interest in bringing this service to its customers, as Blockbuster's offerings would directly compete with Apple's own video content available through the iTunes Store and Apple TV. Apple recently made HD movie rentals and sales available through the iTunes Store, signaling their continued commitment to Apple-controlled distribution of digital content.

According to Reuters, Blockbuster expects to offer about 10,000 movies upon launch of the TiVo service later this year, roughly double the number currently offered through the iTunes Store.
About 10,000 movies will be available when the service launches in the latter half of this year. Most rental films on Blockbuster.com today cost about $2 to $4, while purchased movies start at less than $10.

Blockbuster claimed that its roster of movies on TiVo will outshine that of online choices available at Netflix and Amazon. Indeed, while Amazon and Netflix have more videos available in total, most are older titles, whereas Blockbuster.com offers many more recent hits.

Article Link: Blockbuster Seeking to Bring Movie Downloads to Apple Devices?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I'd rather pay a month amount and rent all of the stuff in the iTunes store.

Comment

reverie

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2006
Berlin, Germany
I wonder if they really have 10.000 movies or if they count TV shows as well. Netflix always does that. Nevertheless, impressive collection.

I'd rather pay a month amount and rent all of the stuff in the iTunes store.

Sure. How do $50 per month sound? The $9 Netflix asks are not sustainable, certainly not for a big library with recent titles.

Blockbuster needs to close down for good. They are a dinosaur.

Don't think so. Competition is good for the market.

Comment

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
I wonder if they really have 10.000 movies or if they count TV shows as well. Netflix always does that. Nevertheless, impressive collection.

Sure. How do $50 per month sound?

Ha! sounds like Apple, "Since Everyone Rents on average one movie per day...."

Comment

motoracer1486

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2006

Do you realize blockbuster employs roughly 50,000 people? The last thing we need is another company going out of business and increase the amount of unemployed people. Maybe you should think before you post your garbage.

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Blockbuster's had its time. It's too far behind in the digital era. Although renting Blu-Ray's is really the only positive thing..

Comment

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004

I don't think so - I still use blockbuster and love them. I signed up for the 3-movies at the time through the mail/unlimited movies per month/unlimited in store exchanged/2-free movie or game coupons per month. I signed up when it was $17.99 a month. it's now like $35 for the same plan but blockbuster doesn't raise your price - they grandfather you in even though there are no contracts so they could easily just raise the price.

I definitely get my moneys worth as I never mail the movies back I just exchange them for new movies in the store and then they mail me the next movies from my queue...sometimes I have as many as 6 movies at a time. Oh and no late fees either...

Oh..and blu-rays do not cost extra and are included.

There is really no better deal out there for (legal) movie rental as far as I know.

If blockbuster gets their act together as they appear to be doing and get their downloadable content they could beat Apple. They have much better name recognition for most people when it comes to video rental.

Comment

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
Too little, too late response to digital distribution. It will go the way of all the rest of the retail outlets.

I was walking down Oxford Street (London) the other day and was really shocked to see the cavernous void left by the old Virgin Megastore flagship store. It's a massive, eerie space that exists slap bang in the middle of the busiest shopping street in the city. It's one thing to hear about the whole Zavvi thing in the paper and another thing entirely to see the huge impact the internet has had on the high street.

Comment

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Do you realize blockbuster employs roughly 50,000 people? The last thing we need is another company going out of business and increase the amount of unemployed people. Maybe you should think before you post your garbage.

That's not really the point, is it?

Times change, new things develop and take off and create new job opportunities. We can't stick to the ways of old just to keep people in jobs.

Sounds like you'd love communism mate.

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
My dream world in the year 2012 is that you walk into a Best Buy and see an Apple TV with 3 other devices just like it from other companies.

All 4 boxes offer online Netflix, iTunes, Amazon, and Blockbuster stores (between which you have both sales and rentals of music and movies.)

You know, kind of like how today you can buy a Mac, a Sony, or a Dell and go to any web page with all of them? Something kind of like that, but for your TV.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (Ugh, it's not going to happen, is it?)

Comment

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Too little, too late response to digital distribution. It will go the way of all the rest of the retail outlets.

I was walking down Oxford Street (London) the other day and was really shocked to see the cavernous void left by the old Virgin Megastore flagship store. It's a massive, eerie space that exists slap bang in the middle of the busiest shopping street in the city. It's one thing to hear about the whole Zavvi thing in the paper and another thing entirely to see the huge impact the internet has had on the high street.

Agreed.

However, what always makes me wonder... is why are the shops open 9-5 (some 9-8) during the week, and then close at 5pm on a Sunday. I think Sunday trading should be 9-8 like any other day.

I'm more likely to buy a DVD online using play.com during my lunch break at work and have it delivered to my door, than I am to walk into town, wasting time as I go, just to buy said DVD.

If shops were open during sensible hours on the weekend (why are shops open during weekdays 9-5 (or 8) anyway??) then I might potter around at my convenience. Not peg it into town at 4.30 because I only just got dressed.

It's the age of convenience and times have changed. When people download mostly everything, those shops will not be needed. Entertainment [as an industry] has changed.

Comment

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004

How is it too little too late? Is there already some establish digital movie distribution channel I don't know about with majority market share encroaching on physical rentals/purchases? You might not believe it but the vast majority of people still physically rent/buy their movies and that won't change for awhile. Even Apple is struggling to get their service off the ground and penetrate the market. Blockbuster has as good a chance as anyone if they market their service well and offer what consumers want.

Comment

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
I can't think of a single reason why Apple would get involved with a middle-man like Blockbuster when they're already dealing directly with the studios. Sure, it would be amazing for Blockbuster, but what would be in it for Apple?

It's like: "Hi Brad Pitt, this is David Spade calling. I think it'd be really neat and totally help your next movie if I was in it."

Comment

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Blockbuster doesn't need to close down for good.

Blockbuster needs to get rid of their upper management that's either greedy, stupid, or both, and do the right thing - cater to its customer base. As a former employee and and even former customer, I saw the policy and prices changes from the inside that made no sense to me as an employee, let alone the customer, leaving only the managers scratching their heads as to why everyone was canceling their in-store and online passes and heading to Netflix, GameFly, and GameStop for all their entertainment needs. Look at post after post on the Consumerist website for an in-depth play-by-play.

Blockbuster needs to remain an enjoyable place to visit, where movie and gamer aficionados, as well as casual users, can go for a quick grab of something new, something old, something fun - but on top of that, not get reamed with insane policies and price plans.

On a side note, I succinctly remember when VHS tapes were being shoveled out in favor of DVDs, and how they kept saying that the cost to manufacture DVDs would be minor fraction of its predecessor, yet we see costs either stay the same or go higher. Whatever happened to that?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.