Blocked callers still ring through

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danpass, Jan 22, 2017.

1. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Non of mine do. Once blocked they do not ring.

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Are local calls coming through or 1-800 numbers?

4. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Are you talking about specific people blocked from your contacts or are you using Do Not Disturb?

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If I get a spam call, I go to the number, click the (i) icon, and then place that number on block. I haven't had the same numbers keep ringing, although I get new numbers that need to be blocked.

6. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

I've been assigning both local and 800 numbers to my 'spam' contact, which is a blocked contact.

Yet I've had the 'spam' contact ring.

In addition I have the ringtone set to vibrate and vibrate set to none lol.

7. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Strange. Usually when a number comes in and you select block, It shouldn't be coming through again. Unless you're getting some sort of spoofed phone number coming in.

8. CamiMR macrumors 6502

CamiMR

I have created exactly the same contact, and now and again still have calls coming through even though the contact is supposedly blocked...

9. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Never used a "spam" contact. I just block the number. But, don't delete the caller after blocking them. Otherwise they will ring thru. I would have to check, but don't believe they get thru after blocked. Spam calls have increased dramatically the last few months--I stopped doing any surveys/reviews. Even with companies like Amazon.

10. Gmouse macrumors regular

I'm never deleting any of my calls (they may delete after some length of time), but, I've noticed that callers I've blocked HAVE been able to call me again using the same number. Also...how can you block "Unknown"? I get a LOT of SPAM calls with that listed as the number...

Thanks.

11. tomjleeds macrumors 6502a

tomjleeds

IME blocking contacts and adding new numbers to those contacts does not work consistently. You have to un-block and re-block the contact each time to be sure it's worked.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

No way to stop "unknown" calls. I always send them to answering service and never answer.

13. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I don't get unknown. There is always a number.

14. SSAJ macrumors 6502

15. jetsam macrumors 6502

Adding a number to a call block list isn't very effective against spammers, since spammers are always changing the number they use. (Actually, they're usually spoofing caller id.)

I've found AT&T's new "Call Protect" feature to work very well in blocking spam and anonymous calls. It uses the tech from the "Hiya" app, but at network level.
    https://www.att.com/offers/call-protect.html

iOS 10 also introduced direct phone app support for call blocking apps, like "Hiya", for those whose carrier does not provide network level support.

16. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I delete all the calls I get after blocking them and they never ring through. Maybe I'm just getting lucky?

17. jetsam macrumors 6502

I've found that numbers I've added to the block list stay on the block list (and get blocked), even if I delete the number from "Recents" and they're not in my contact list. I've got a few that meet those criteria - like my college alumni association. ;)

18. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

No matter what you do the spammers just keep on calling. I have blocked a spammer called "Credit Card Services" for years but like most spammers they have an inexhaustible supply of phone numbers.

No unless they come up from my contact list, unless they are local, they go to the answering service.

Our government's Do Not Call List is a horrible joke on us!

19. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

OP, if the 'block this number' doesnt work for you now, make an appt at your local Apple Store.

They will likely want to wipe and reinstall (that's their first option w/o fail most of the time), so backup your phone first.

20. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

When I deleted caller they got thru again. Pretty sure none have if I don't delete.

21. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Do you mean just clear the number from your recents/history?

22. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Yes