Blocked Contact on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 1984world, May 29, 2013.

1. 1984world macrumors 6502

1984world

Hello,

Strange problem. I have one contact that is on my iphone 4s that for whatever reason, when she sends me a text, my phone neither vibrates or makes noise when I get it. All other contacts work fine, just this one contact doesn't get through.

Any ideas where I should look to change this? I sync all my contacts through my gmail (exchange) and never had a problem with other phones.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd delete the contact and then create a new one with the same number to see if that makes any difference.

3. 1984world thread starter macrumors 6502

1984world

I thought of that too. Totally erased it in my gmail. Then recreated from scratch (after restarting my computer and respringing my iphone). Same problem came back. Kind of stumped on this one.

4. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Could it be that the block is on the other end, from the owner of that phone number, and not your phone's fault? I don't logically know why, but at this point it's anyone's guess.

5. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

What do you mean you erased it in your gmail?

6. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Did you delete the person from your native Contacts app? Remove all traces of the individual?

7. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

That's kinda what I'm wondering. But he mentioned deleted from gmail.

8. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Agreed. I'd have mentioned it earlier but it seemed like the first, most obvious item to have already been done before posting for help. I assumed that had been taken care of. Maybe not?

9. 1984world thread starter macrumors 6502

1984world

I contacted the person andthey said that they had not blocked me.

I deleted from gmail, my phone, respring, reboot, then readded-and still the block. Kind of stumped.

10. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

You're not answering my question.

11. 1984world thread starter macrumors 6502

1984world

Sorry, I believed I did. Yes, I deleted it from my native contacts (my phone) along with in my gmail. Did the respring, reboot, etc. Even restarted my computer after deleting from my gmail (useless, but figured why not) and then readded the contact to gmail, did a sync and contact was back-but still blocked.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's the thing.
    Don't put it in gmail and sync it on the phone.
    Just create it manually on the phone itself.
    Spell the name of the contact a little different to see if that makes a difference.

13. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

I don't see why this wouldn't work. If it doesn't then I honestly wouldn't know what to suggest next. Unless deliberately imputing the wrong email address and then afterward changing it back?

14. 1984world thread starter macrumors 6502

1984world

I'll have to try this. Only problem is, I also send this person emails from my computer so like to have them in my gmail contacts. But that is a good suggestion which I will try.

BTW. I checked all my iblacklist and ringerxvp settings and nothing blocking the number here. I also assumed by totally deleting the contact and then adding a new one (same info though) it would be as if no. Interesting, the phone doesn't recognize the custom tones i had set for the contact, but automatically resets to the default ones. Not that that matters, but it remembers to block the contact somehow, but doesn't remember the custom tones I had set for it.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Weird situation for sure.
    Just gotta try different approaches to see if it makes a difference. Maybe naming it different like spelled another way or something like that.
    Manually entering it to see if its an issue with syncing it with gmail etc..

16. 1984world thread starter macrumors 6502

1984world

So I removed the contact from gmail and made a native contact on my iphone. Different name. Obviously the number is the same. It instantly put the little bell with a line through it in a text, effectively blocking notifications from the contact. So it must be number or (my?) phone specific to keep doing this. Still stumped.

----------

And I should note, all my apps are paid for, both app store and cydia, nothing hacked or cracked on it that would cause a weird conflict.

I pay for my software, and support the developers.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hey you have bitesms installed by any chance?