Blocked IMEI or blacklisted

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sulten, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Sulten macrumors regular

Sulten

So I bought a phone off CL Iphone5. phone was jailbroken so I used it for 3 days restored it to 7.1 now it locked me out of my sim card. I guess the owner reported it stolen and got a new one.

heard of a scam like this where they sell the phones then report them to get another one. I looked at my serial number and the phone is active till april 6 for repairs or etc.

if I go to apple and tell them do you think I could purchase one cheaper or will they exchange or etc since scams like this are going around now?

Repairs and Service Coverage: Active

Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
    Estimated Expiration Date: April 6, 2014

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

you bought a stolen phone, pure and simple and apple isn't going to give you a new one because of that.

3. Sulten thread starter macrumors regular

Sulten

Hello did you read the post? I used the phone for a week so it wasn't stolen, then it was blocked. so someone sold me a good phone got paid and then weeks later reports it and get a new one through insurance. gets paid and a new phone. its a scam that I guess is going on.

I don't want apple to give me anything free I will pay for a new one but would they cut some slack or say sorry SOL.

that's all I wanted to know not a free one, not a hand out I know the phone is no good now.

4. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

You should be very, very, very careful whenever you make a purchase over a site like Craig's List and eBay - way too many scammers out there. I'm sorry this happened to you, but like the person above me said, you bought a stolen phone. You're out of luck when it comes to Apple giving you a new one - it's not their fault. I guess you can try to ask for your money back, but I highly doubt that will go through well with the seller.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

But your post stated this
    Either way the carrier locked it out for a given reason, why not call Verizon and explain the situation. Apple isn't going to cut you some slack because you bought a phone that is now black listed by a carrier.

6. Sulten thread starter macrumors regular

Sulten

Thank you for the replies I'm not looking for a free one or ATT to feel sorry I just wanted to know if they could contact the previous owner. As I said its a scan sell a good phone then they report it and get a new one and cash.

lessened learned thanks for the reply.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Just FYI, that isn't what you wrote in your first post (even if it is what you meant.)

What response have you had from the CraigsList seller?

8. 617aircav Suspended

OP if you can find a fault with the phone then apple can replace it. Let's say the home button
    is bad or battery is bad. That's the only way apple will swap.

----------

They won't connect you with the previous owner. You are assuming that the guy that sold you the phone is the previous owner. He may have just found or stolen it and sold it to you. The real owner reported it stolen a few days later, thus why your phone was blocked. You can turn it in to AT&T and maybe they can return it to the original owner. In that case your money is gone.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Anyone know how quickly the carriers processes that stuff? How long does it take from when a phone is reported lost/stolen to when the IMEI is blacklisted?

I'm wondering if it could be that the phone was stolen/lost and reported, but the finder/theif was able to get it sold to the OP before the IMEI was actually blocked a few days later.

Thoughts?

10. Sulten thread starter macrumors regular

Sulten

I heard the actual owners are selling their phones getting money then weeks later claiming them to be stolen getting another phone. so they get cash plus a new phone. I don't know but now worries I will turn it in or toss it in the trash I cant use it so no good to me.

11. 617aircav Suspended

Sell it on eBay.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, it doesn't matter what the story was behind it.
    They will not replace it for free or for a fee or provide any discounts.
    Then any thief would bring stolen iphones in.

13. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

Unlock the IMEI and sell it overseas if you end up getting stuck with it. The IMEI block list is only in the US.

I took an IMEI blocked Galaxy Note 3 to Aruba (already unlocked) and it worked just fine.