Blocked Internet Access

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Franklaarmans, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Franklaarmans macrumors newbie

Dear all,

I spent a year in Turkey as an exchange student, and of course I brought my macbook with me. In Turkey they are kind of uptight about which websites you're allowed to visit. Youtube, last.fm and myspace are all blocked for (ridiculous) political reasons. Not really a problem, I could acces them via sites like vtunnel etc. Now I'm back at home since several weeks, but still I'm not able to visit these sites and I get the same government-warning in Turkish. Anyone knows how to convince my macbook that I'm back in the free world?

Thank you very much in advance.

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

If you're using safari, go to safari in the top, then click "reset safari"
    select all the little checkboxes, and then click reset. That should do it.
    Beware it clears your history, passwords, ect.

3. Franklaarmans thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip. But I use Google Chrome... Got any tips for that? Greets

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes. Replace it with Safari. :D

5. koco macrumors newbie

If you visit those sites you might end up like Billy Hayes in Midnight Express. :eek:

6. Franklaarmans thread starter macrumors newbie

All very funny. But I would like to keep using Chrome and visiting those websites. Anyone?

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Seriously, try Safari and see whether it has the same issue. That'll narrow down whether it's a Chrome issue. Also check that you don't have any Turkish DNS servers set up.

8. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

If you're an exchange student... you could check with the university in your country of origin to see if they have a VPN you could use and setup... then the browser you're using wouldn't matter.