blocked iphone 4s

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iker, Mar 18, 2012.

1. iker macrumors newbie

hello

i have an iphone 4s 5.0.1 which is currently imie blocked in UK. I would like to know if it's possible to unblock it, if so will it work in the UK or in another country? I also wanted to know if i can upgrade the firmware once it's unblocked/unlocked?

2. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

3. iker thread starter macrumors newbie

oh ok, what about abroad, and can i upgrade it?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If its locked to a specific carrier then it will not accept any sim from other providers.
    If it was unlocked and then got the imei blacklisted in the uk then it will work with other carriers outside the uk.

5. iker thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks, and what about upgrading it? will it remove the unlock?

6. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

to take the moral ground here a bit. Why is it blocked? is it because it was stolen?

if that's the case, then you shouldn't be trying to use it. If there wasn't a way to use it anywhere else then it would reduce the trade in stolen phones...meaning there wouldn't be a market for it and the chances of someone trying to steal your phone would be reduced.

to put it another way, if you had your phone stolen and you blocked it, would you be happy offering the thief advice on how he could use it somewhere else? or would you be trying to get his ass locked up?

bottom line is if a blocked phone is completely useless, there wouldn't be such a market for them, and thefts would go down..meaning your own phone would be safer.

7. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

+1

Or stop engaging in whatever activities you are conducting that result in your phone being blocked.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Call the carrier so you know the owner and return it or something similar.

9. Superman80 macrumors regular

Its probably my wifes Iphone 4s that was stolen from her hand bag!

The only reason a phone will be blocked is because of an insurance scam, stolen or reported lost.

They should somehow barred the phone from every carrier in the world, might make people think twice about stealing it!

10. iker thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, its a long story, one which i don't want to discuss but somehow i ended up with a blocked iphone.

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Long story short then. Nice paper weight bro!

12. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Do the right thing and hand it into the authorities or perhaps lodge a dispute if you bought if from one of the auction sites.

Expensive learning curve !

13. kristenbain88 macrumors newbie

hi im bloody sick of people assuming that every blocked iphones is lost or stolen. what about all the people that take out a contract phone and dont pay the bill the phone and sim card gt cut off after that. so why not go sell it to someone else in another country wheres the harm
    in that i buy blocked mobile phones all the time but i always do a check mend report to c if they hsve been lost or stolen never had one yet just ones tht havnt payed there bill

14. danielowenuk macrumors 6502

It's then stolen from the carrier, as it hasn't been paid for!

The harm is that it costs the carrier money, and increases the cost for people that do pay the bill.

15. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Agreed, and what your saying also if you think about will protect all of us from Fraud later on, also keeps costs down. If a company is always getting beat, costs rise for future products.

AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint I know are working on a system of making a stolen phone or 3G/4G iPad useless on either of their networks. VZ and Sprint have CDMA which are locked to them as a carrier, AT&T is working with Apple to block a stolen Serial Number which is all a good thing. Too bad no one ever decided to encode the parts of a phone so no one can steal one and break it up to sell for parts? Etching the glass would prevent this, and encoding the logic board and other parts except well the battery.

16. labman, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

labman macrumors 604

labman

It's still really stealing if they the person agreed to a reduced price and a contract they failed to pay. The provider still owns the device. It's like buying a car not paying it off and expecting no consequences. The device isn't paid for so they will not allow you to profit from it. You can argue you pay to much but then don't sign a contact agreeing to the terms.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I didnt think they blacklisted IMEI's if you didnt pay the bill.
    I know with CDMA phones in the US they cannot be activated again if the account is not in good standing but GSM phones too? It probably varies by country and carrier.

18. trigger2011 macrumors newbie

Currently Blocked 4s

hi need help asap have i been ripped off ?

Currently Blocked CheckMEND has records which show this item is currently blocked by one or more networks
    around the world. It may still work on some networks.

----------

hi how much would you buy my phone for as it says this

Currently Blocked CheckMEND has records which show this item is currently blocked by one or more networks
    around the world. It may still work on some networks.

19. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

So failing to pay your carrier bill is OK ?

20. labman macrumors 604

labman

trigger2011 this thread is almost a year old but most of the info and advice is still the same. if you have a issue with carrier contact them and work it out. If you found the phone it not yours so that might be why it's blocked.