blocked iphone 4s

iker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
hello

i have an iphone 4s 5.0.1 which is currently imie blocked in UK. I would like to know if it's possible to unblock it, if so will it work in the UK or in another country? I also wanted to know if i can upgrade the firmware once it's unblocked/unlocked?

iker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
ok thanks, and what about upgrading it? will it remove the unlock?

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
to take the moral ground here a bit. Why is it blocked? is it because it was stolen?

if that's the case, then you shouldn't be trying to use it. If there wasn't a way to use it anywhere else then it would reduce the trade in stolen phones...meaning there wouldn't be a market for it and the chances of someone trying to steal your phone would be reduced.

to put it another way, if you had your phone stolen and you blocked it, would you be happy offering the thief advice on how he could use it somewhere else? or would you be trying to get his ass locked up?

bottom line is if a blocked phone is completely useless, there wouldn't be such a market for them, and thefts would go down..meaning your own phone would be safer.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Call the carrier so you know the owner and return it or something similar.

Superman80

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2011
London
Its probably my wifes Iphone 4s that was stolen from her hand bag!

The only reason a phone will be blocked is because of an insurance scam, stolen or reported lost.

They should somehow barred the phone from every carrier in the world, might make people think twice about stealing it!

iker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
lol, its a long story, one which i don't want to discuss but somehow i ended up with a blocked iphone.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Long story short then. Nice paper weight bro!

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Do the right thing and hand it into the authorities or perhaps lodge a dispute if you bought if from one of the auction sites.

Expensive learning curve !

kristenbain88

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2012
hi im bloody sick of people assuming that every blocked iphones is lost or stolen. what about all the people that take out a contract phone and dont pay the bill the phone and sim card gt cut off after that. so why not go sell it to someone else in another country wheres the harm
in that i buy blocked mobile phones all the time but i always do a check mend report to c if they hsve been lost or stolen never had one yet just ones tht havnt payed there bill

danielowenuk

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
hi im bloody sick of people assuming that every blocked iphones is lost or stolen. what about all the people that take out a contract phone and dont pay the bill the phone and sim card gt cut off after that. so why not go sell it to someone else in another country wheres the harm
in that i buy blocked mobile phones all the time but i always do a check mend report to c if they hsve been lost or stolen never had one yet just ones tht havnt payed there bill
It's then stolen from the carrier, as it hasn't been paid for!

The harm is that it costs the carrier money, and increases the cost for people that do pay the bill.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
to take the moral ground here a bit. Why is it blocked? is it because it was stolen?

if that's the case, then you shouldn't be trying to use it. If there wasn't a way to use it anywhere else then it would reduce the trade in stolen phones...meaning there wouldn't be a market for it and the chances of someone trying to steal your phone would be reduced.

to put it another way, if you had your phone stolen and you blocked it, would you be happy offering the thief advice on how he could use it somewhere else? or would you be trying to get his ass locked up?

bottom line is if a blocked phone is completely useless, there wouldn't be such a market for them, and thefts would go down..meaning your own phone would be safer.

Agreed, and what your saying also if you think about will protect all of us from Fraud later on, also keeps costs down. If a company is always getting beat, costs rise for future products.

AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint I know are working on a system of making a stolen phone or 3G/4G iPad useless on either of their networks. VZ and Sprint have CDMA which are locked to them as a carrier, AT&T is working with Apple to block a stolen Serial Number which is all a good thing. Too bad no one ever decided to encode the parts of a phone so no one can steal one and break it up to sell for parts? Etching the glass would prevent this, and encoding the logic board and other parts except well the battery.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
It's still really stealing if they the person agreed to a reduced price and a contract they failed to pay. The provider still owns the device. It's like buying a car not paying it off and expecting no consequences. The device isn't paid for so they will not allow you to profit from it. You can argue you pay to much but then don't sign a contact agreeing to the terms.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I didnt think they blacklisted IMEI's if you didnt pay the bill.
I know with CDMA phones in the US they cannot be activated again if the account is not in good standing but GSM phones too? It probably varies by country and carrier.

trigger2011

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2013
Currently Blocked 4s

hi need help asap have i been ripped off ?

Currently Blocked CheckMEND has records which show this item is currently blocked by one or more networks
around the world. It may still work on some networks.

----------

hi how much would you buy my phone for as it says this

Currently Blocked CheckMEND has records which show this item is currently blocked by one or more networks
around the world. It may still work on some networks.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
So failing to pay your carrier bill is OK ?

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
trigger2011 this thread is almost a year old but most of the info and advice is still the same. if you have a issue with carrier contact them and work it out. If you found the phone it not yours so that might be why it's blocked.