Blocked iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AliFun3, Mar 28, 2011.

1. AliFun3 macrumors member

Hey guys I work in a Supermarket and I found an iPhone 4 left on a shelf, I left it in customer services months ago. I've checked whenever I'm in there to see if it had been claimed and it hadn't so I have taken it home to see if I could do anything with it on my computer to try and track down the owner. But unfortunately it's blocked so I can't do anything to get any contact details from it. Only thing I know is its on Orange. Anyone have any idea how I can track down the owner so that I can return it.

Thanks in advance.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Orange (UK) will probably be able to look up the IMEI number. Try giving them a call...

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Call your phone and see what number show up. Oops didn't notice blocked.

4. AliFun3 thread starter macrumors member

I guess calling Orange is the only option, I don't particularly want to just leave it with Orange though. I'd quite like to be able to return it myself so I know it gets back to them.

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You stated that the phone has been in customer service for a while, so there is a good chance that the owner has already replaced their phone. If you can somehow track the owner and get it back to them without giving the phone away to Orange for them to deal with, do it. Always be honest first, but if for some reason you can't get it back to the owner, then wait for the unlock for the newer basebands and pocket some cash.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You wont be able to get the owners info and track them down to hand it back.
    Why dont you give it back to Orange? The phones IMEI is blacklisted anyway so the only person than can activate that phone and enable and use it again is the owner by verifying his identity and account details.

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I failed to notice that the phone was blacklisted. Although can't you still restore/hactivate/unlock when the appropriate software comes out to do so and then sell it to another country other than the UK?

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you are completely morally bankrupt then yes. It's not the OPs property to sell (although to his/her credit nothing suggests they want to do that).

9. alent1234 macrumors 603

wow, they blacklist imei's? AT&T won't do that. too much legal liability

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Has been standard practice in the UK (and most of Europe I think) for a few years to cut down on thefts. No point steeling something that will be made worthless in hours.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, in many places thruout the world they do.
    I guess AT&T and other US carriers dont want to bother with the hassle of it.

Yes, on another country that doesnt share and use the same lost/stolen phone database.

12. AliFun3 thread starter macrumors member

It's not mine to sell, I know if I lost my iPhone then I'd want it returned so I am just doing what I'd hope someone would do for me. Looks like i'll be phoning Orange in the morning. Was kinda hoping I'd get the satisfaction of returning it personally but looking fairly unlikely.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its just a phone bro, you're not returning back their lost child:D
    But its still very nice of you going thru all this to return the phone to its owner.
    Wish there were more people like you around.

14. AliFun3 thread starter macrumors member

haha I know its just a phone but I work 5 days a week as a supervisor at a supermarket so more often than not I'm on the receiving end of rudeness and such so it's nice to occasionally get a thank you for doing something for someone else.

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

We all thank you for returning it!:D

16. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Yeah. That's why two posts above you'll see me saying that I'd be honest first.

Hopefully if OP gives it to the original carrier, they'll give it to the owner and not just put it in some storage room somewhere or something equally careless.

17. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Having another kid is free but to get a new iPhone you have to pay out the wazoo!

...jk...

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D