'Blockhead' Plug Provides Space Saving Solution for Apple Wall Adapters

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 10, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Ten One Design today announced the "Blockhead," a side-facing plug for Apple chargers that will allow users to place the large wall adapters flush and parallel with a wall to save space, and open up more possibilities for charging behind large furniture. The accessory replaces the detachable prongs that ship with Apple products, and Ten One Design promises Blockhead will fit "every MacBook" and "every iPad" adapter, with one caveat regarding older model iPad minis.

[​IMG]

Specifically sculpted to be a companion for Apple's chargers, the company promises that Blockhead will provide a "strong" grip and electrical connection in lieu of using Apple's first party prongs. Thanks to the geometry of the plug's design, Blockhead also points the Apple adapter's plug downwards instead of straight out from a wall, which Ten One Design says "protects against cord stress."
    In comparison to Apple's chargers, the Blockhead plug is 1.2 inches thick, noticeably slashing the thickness of the MacBook wall adapter's required 3.8 inches of space. Thanks to the Blockhead's design, the new plug can also house two adapters on one outlet, or even adjacent plugs on a traditional two-prong extensions cord.

[​IMG]

The accessory will work on any Apple charger rated for 10 watts or higher, so it is compatible with all MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and MacBook models, as well as all iPad models aside from the original iPad mini. Those interested in the Blockhead plug can pre-order the accessory on Ten One Design's website starting today, with shipping estimated to be in "late April." Users will be able to choose between one plug for $19.95 or a "Blockhead Stack" of two plugs for $34.94.

Article Link: 'Blockhead' Plug Provides Space Saving Solution for Apple Wall Adapters

2. Shredliotti macrumors newbie

Clever idea but definitely not worth $20. Wait a few months and there will definitely be all kinds of imitators and clones.

3. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

As someone who travels frequently for work, this is worth every penny of $20.

It is shocking that Apple didn't get to this first.

4. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Note that you can't just throw your Blockhead-connected Apple adapter back in your bag when you're on the go, because their prongs don't pivot closed like the original Apple adapter can. That, plus the fact it's $20, almost half the price of my 29W 12" MacBook adapter, I'll wait for a 2nd-gen or a safe clone/remake of that idea.

[​IMG]

5. AtomicDusk macrumors member

AtomicDusk

Am I jaded to have my first thought be about how soon until a charger with one of these adapters catches fire, and Apple says "Well you Blockhead..."?

6. Perry Rhodan, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016

Perry Rhodan macrumors member

This is cool,

Wonder if there will be a long term impact caused by the additional stress on the adapter from the plug being off centre.

7. modemthug macrumors regular

This is so stupidly simple and brilliant. Love it

8. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502a

logicstudiouser

I like the idea, but I am not sure I am comfortable connecting third party products on the power brick

9. DryHeave macrumors member

*headdesk* They take a brilliant idea, productize it, and ruin it by making it a bright BLUE instead of the proper white that blends in. The FAQ at their website doesn't even address the issue of availability in white. Probably because they hope that someone will see it out in public and ask what it is, which might generate interest? Dumb! It's fugly. They just lost a sale.

I've never understood third-party products that don't attempt to blend in 100%.

10. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

Yeah it is shocking, they had only ~15 years to come up...

11. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

Surprised it took a company so long to create this? This will be immensely helpful in my living room behind my couch.

12. ignatius345 macrumors 68020

Or for $7, you could just throw one of these in your bag to accomplish the same thing, and have a spare outlet to boot.

[​IMG]

13. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Killer idea! Can't wait to get it on ebay from a Chinese knockoff company for cheaper.

14. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

15. Defthand macrumors 65816

I wouldn’t use an unproven/unapproved third-party transformer but in this case, the prongs themselves are inconsequential.

16. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

But, but... you just explained why! and it's not dumb, it's marketing.

Product that does everything it can to draw attention to itself--> Donald Trump
    Product that tries to blend in--> George Pataki

17. DryHeave macrumors member

That might explain why they made it blue. But it doesn't make it a good reason, or change the fact that it's incredibly ugly and should not have been colored blue. I will not be buying one until they make it in white.

18. cameronjpu macrumors 65816

Apple seems to be determined to make it clear that they don't care about the power adapter for the Mac book. Can anyone explain to me why there is no built in solution to ensure that the wall adapter thingy doesn't get lost? I don't know any "normal" users that I haven't lost that little piece. How hard would it be to have a clip built onto the brick where the smaller adapter lives?

19. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

For this particular usage I don't think it really matters; it'll probably sit somewhere invisible.

20. DryHeave macrumors member

A lot of people use their power adapters out in public, for example at coffee shops.

I'll be first in line to buy one of these when they sell them in white.

21. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

BRB…buying five of these!

22. usarioclave macrumors 65816

Damn, those hug-a-plug things are great. I'm buying a couple because it's hard to plug crap in behind a bureau. USB stuff sticks out too far, and most power strips don't have flat right-angle connectors.

Bummer that the black 6 packs are $1.04 more than the white ones. WTF?

23. WinstonRumfoord macrumors 6502

'

At least go with a light grey that somewhat matches!!!

Anyways, this is really, really, really awesome. I might get a few even though they are only in ugly blue. Our dog likes to run around close to the walls and ALWAYS is knocking out our MBP adapters, in fact, the prongs are all bent because of this.

24. ignatius345 macrumors 68020

I feel like I've seen stuff like this even cheaper at the hardware store.

25. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I was thinking about buying the Blockhead until you shared this. I wonder how many sales Blockhead lost over your post besides just mine.