Blocking a number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by x986, Nov 1, 2010.

1. x986 macrumors regular

Is it possible to block a phone number via either AT&T or an app?

2. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Is your phone jailbroken? If yes you can use iBlacklist (though I heard that the most recent version has registration issues).

There is no official way to block a number unfortunately.

3. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

:confused:

Sure you can. You can use AT&T's service. They have it for $5/mo. to limit inbound and outbound even for kids. Works great as my wife has a crazy lady that calls her at all hours. We think she's mental and just won't give up.

Another way is to use a $5/mo service through TrapCall. Simliar to AT&T but the phone still rings and you have to manually kick them into a "phone disconnected" message. Works excellent. I use this feature on my phone as it will unblock "blocked" or "Private" calls so that you can see their number. No limit in the number of phone numbers you can block either.

I don't sweat the $5/mo fee in either case as it only takes 1-3 months of blocking the number before they completely give up.

4. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Another way, albeit cheap, is to have a silent ringtone and then create a contact called "Do Not Answer". Then assign the silent ringtone to that contact. Then when anyone calls that you dont want to answer, just assign that number to that contact.
    This is how I do it with idiots and telemarketers. I never hear the call at all. No jailbreak required, no extra payment to AT&T required.

5. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

It's unfortunate that you have to manually send the call into a "Phone Disconnected" message as there are times when I get a blocked call and I'm not able to answer/send it because I'm in a meeting or otherwise busy... It's an interesting concept, though!

6. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Trap will still pick up the number and send it to disconnect hell. If you aren't there to answer or choose to simply ignore a call from a blacklisted caller, they'll hear a message telling them that your number has been disconnected rather than being taken to your voicemail. If you are there, just push the power button twice and the phone will stop ringing, and trap call will take it from there.

You enter the numbers into their web site and anytime they call in, trap call will snag them. The only downside period is that the call does actually ring into you. In my wife's case, she just puts her phone on vibrate at night.

7. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Thanks for the firsthand experience! I'll check it out!:)