iPhone Blocking a phone number but not messages?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by InfernoUk, Jul 1, 2015.

1. InfernoUk macrumors 6502

Hey guys

I have a situation where i need to prevent someone calling me from now on, however I would like to be able to see messages still encase of an emergency.

Is there a method to achieve this? As to my knowledge doesnt blocking a number block both calls and texts?

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

3. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but i was looking for something that just doesnt let them call, like straight to answer phone, so they think they are blocked rather than being ignored, yet allows messages to come through since they would be non the wiser

4. naasrd macrumors 6502

naasrd

Not much you can do, anyway if they think they are blocked they probably won't bother texting either.

5. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

haha psycho ex girlfriend im afraid, i dont want her to think im blank ignoring her but id like to be able to see texts encase something bad happens!

6. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

If your phone keeps going to voicemail she'll know that anyway. You've over thinking, just set a custom ringtone of silence as suggested above.

7. mattoligy macrumors 6502

mattoligy

I have often wanted to do the exact same thing and was baffled when I discovered you couldn't block calls and messages independent of each other o_O

8. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

how do i set a slient ring tone? i dont see a profile

9. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Download one and set it in the contact.

10. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Even if the blocks were separate, the way Apple does it is more of an ignore than a block since the caller would still hear ringing and simply would get sent to voicemail after some rings, you are just notified about the call, that's basically it.

You might want to look into blocking things from your carrier side as they often offer that type of ability (and with them I believe it works more like a block than an ignore).

12. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

when i tried ios blocking it sent calls directly to voice mail, my carrier also does the same thing (& they CHARGE for it, lol...)

13. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

You can easily create one through any possible sound processing software such as Adobe audition.

Or you can find a quite enough place, and record the ambient sound, which literally contains nothing. Then upload this record to your computer, and set it as a silent ringtone.

Either would work perfectly in their own way.

14. naasrd macrumors 6502

naasrd