Blocking ad's on Firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LARulz, Jun 3, 2008.

1. LARulz macrumors newbie

Is there a good ad on or any other software to block ad's on the internet, preferably something like Adblock on Safari

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

3. LARulz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I've got that but, it's not as effective as the Adblock on safari. I mean I block a ad/banner on firefox, but when I go back to the website later there is always a different one and it gets very annoying to keep trying to block them just for a minute before a different one appears. Or am I using it wrong?

4. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

Are they flash ads? You may need Flash Block as well. You could also look for the domain of where the ads are coming from and add that to the filter list. If you are keen on locking down your browser you could also try NoScript, but it can be more trouble than its worth sometimes.

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Amusing, since Adblock for Safari is based on the concept of Adblock for Firefox. I use Adblock Plus (which someone already mentioned) — it's great and will do what you want. To get the most out of it you have to configure it to use an ad-block feed (just like the Safari version), which I believe is part of the initial setup when you install it.

:) I guess so. Set it up like I said above and it should be equally as effective, or you should be able to play around in the preferences to get it just the way you want it.

6. pna macrumors 6502

I also recommend the adblock plus route, though I use the easylist (EZ-list?) subscription that you can select after you first install it. I tried the filterset.G, thinking that it might be better, but it turned out to let a lot more ads through than the easylist did. I seem to remember checking, and it being somewhat unclear if filterset.G was even being updated.

You should absolutely use it in combination with flashblock. I'm always stunned when I use someone else's browser, at just how overwhelmingly cluttered the web looks without those two working in concert. They're actually the reason that I've stuck with Firefox -- I didn't realize adblock had ever been brought over to Safari, aside from in the for-pay Pithhelmet.

One benefit of adblock plus (at least with easylist) is that none of the commercials make it through from streaming television, or at least from ABC. That alone has probably caused me to continue watching Lost...

7. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Contrary to many people's beliefs, you don't need to install Filterset G updater anymore if you have the latest adblock. See this guy's review of it:

Adblock certainly is the best. If you want to hide annoying element ads (like the ones in Gmail, and Google Search), you can install this which it really handy.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you block an ad with Adblock on Firefox, instead of blocking the specific ad, use wild cards (*) to block anything related to the ad. Some sites will have a long path that has something like ..../ads/..... imbedded in the link. Use the (*) to change the blocked address to something like ..../ads/*

I had great success in killing just about anything with Firefox. I'm forcing myself to use Safari for now, and sure miss all the plug-ins and extra add-on features Firefox has available!

9. installingcats macrumors newbie

camino browser alternative to firefox

Have you guys thought of trying Camino as an alternative to Firefox?

It's based on Mozilla's Gecko, same engine as Firefox, but made specifically for Mac. It's using AdBlock built in, which is working out well for me, especially after figuring out how to white-list certain sites where I actually want to see Flash based stuff.