Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 11, 2012
North East US
Does anyone know a reliable way to prevent Apple from pushing their effing updates to MY devices? I don't want iOS 8. I'm ok with how things are.

I found these addresses here. Are they still accurate to block them out?

mesu.apple.com
appldnld.apple.com

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
yep works fine. Im using an auto proxy file to block out that and my own custom list of ad servers

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 11, 2012
North East US
yep works fine. Im using an auto proxy file to block out that and my own custom list of ad servers

Great! Do you happen to have a list of servers to do the same thing for our Macs? I'm sick of those nag screens as well. I don't need a new iTunes version every other day and all the "fixes" to Safari never fixed any of the existing issues anyway...And I'm not interested in switching over any device over to "Yosemite" and become Apples' unpaid alpha tester again. Mavericks still has issues but I've learned to I've with them. So I'm all set.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Unfortunately I'm not sure how effective this is going to be. It will block the download from your home wifi, but as soon as you connect to a public hotspot or the wifi at your friend's house then it will just download anyway.

Dirtysand

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2014
Unfortunately I'm not sure how effective this is going to be. It will block the download from your home wifi, but as soon as you connect to a public hotspot or the wifi at your friend's house then it will just download anyway.

Actually, just use a PAC file (aka auto mode in the proxy wifi settings). And make apple.com connections go to local host, add in 17.0.0.0 with subnet mask 255.0.0.0 to block direct connections.

Sonicmojo

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2013

It will only "auto" download the multi GB file if you are on someone else's wi-fi AND you have hard power connected (USB, adapter plug etc).

It will not auto-download if you are just walking around with the device even if on wi-fi. Now - you may get a notification of it being available when walking around on wi-fi but the file will not actually come down via wi-fi alone.

Most folks get caught by this when charging their device. If you do not put your device in Airplane mode - or better yet - plug in and immediately power it down - you will eventually get caught with a huge file on your device at some point. As soon as that hard power is connected and wi-fi is still enabled - it will try relentlessly to get the file.

I tested this extensively when blocking the iOS7 OTA update last year. I have no reason to suspect otherwise with iOS8 in the queue now.

Sonic

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 11, 2012
North East US
It will only "auto" download the multi GB file if you are on someone else's wi-fi AND you have hard power connected (USB, adapter plug etc).

It will not auto-download if you are just walking around with the device even if on wi-fi. Now - you may get a notification of it being available when walking around on wi-fi but the file will not actually come down via wi-fi alone.

Most folks get caught by this when charging their device. If you do not put your device in Airplane mode - or better yet - plug in and immediately power it down - you will eventually get caught with a huge file on your device at some point. As soon as that hard power is connected and wi-fi is still enabled - it will try relentlessly to get the file.

I tested this extensively when blocking the iOS7 OTA update last year. I have no reason to suspect otherwise with iOS8 in the queue now.

Sonic

Thanks and that's what I thought.

But let's assume it does happen, wasn't there a way to delete the download file also again?

My other concern now is if I can still get a 5s with iOS 7 installed. I'm thinking about getting another one while still available. Certainly don't want the new gigantosauros iphone 6.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
you can delete the file if it does get downloaded and it remains deleted.

The PAC file i use is a custom cooked one that sometimes presents problems on the mac (especially if you want to say.. view ads on craigslist) so i just use AdBlock on my mac. (iOS updates don't auto download on macs anyways) It is also coded to redirect pandora traffic through my server in new jersey (since Im in canada)

If you still want the PAC file to say.. block ads on free apps and such, let me know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.