Blocking Caller ID

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GradStudent1, Jul 29, 2014.

1. GradStudent1 macrumors newbie

I'm having a little bit of an anxiety attack. I called a number and I'm pretty sure I made my number private, but I'm freaking out now.

Here's the story.

I still haven't updated my iPhone5 to the newest upgrade. I went to Setting>Phone>Show My Caller ID>OFF. I did this previous to making the call. I called from my cell (in Canada) to a number in the US. I'm not sure if the number is a cell phone or a land line.

Today I'm have a totally unwarranted stress-fest over my number potentially being exposed.

My question: Even though I selected to block my number on my phone, is there a way that my number may have been potentially exposed?

Thanks in advance!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Try it out by using the same settings and calling another phone that you might have access to or might be able to check (like a family member or friend) and see what happens.

That said, even if your phone number was exposed, why so much anxiety/stress over something like that?

3. NodheadSoftware macrumors newbie

NodheadSoftware

Some time ago i was invited to an emergency central where I learned that they see your number no matter what.

So I can only assume that your phone call sends along something like CallerID:hidden. Than it's the receiving devices decision to show or hide the caller ID.

Consumer phones out of the box will probably hide the caller ID if requested.