Blocking cellular data use on a 3G iPhone with iOS 3.1.3

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Benito, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

I have a jailbroken and untethered 3G phone that a friend is now using :D. No more Rogers. He is now using Telus up here in Canada. The problem is with the iOS 3.1.3 under settings --> genearl --> network, there is no switch to turn off cellular data as there is on the iPhone 4. I have tried turning off the wireless and the 3G iPhone definitely is accessing cellular data as it is able to open new web pages. My friend doesn't want the expense of paying for data at all. How can we turn it off? Any help would be greatly helpful.

In order to jailbreak and untether the 3G I used Spirit jb and then Cydia with ultrasn0w. All that worked out great then I got a Telus sim and that worked too. The only thing now is the cellular data and turning it off.

2. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

Install SBSettings from Cydia and you'll be able to shut off data at will.

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You have two options:
    1. Use a Fake APN on the phone you can search how to do this on Google.
    2. The ability to turn off cellular data is not an IP4 feature it is an IOS4 feature so if you upgrade the software you can turn it off.

However, be aware that the only FW that is available from Apple at the moment is 4.0.2 which is not jailbreakable. If he needs a JB and UL then unless you have SHSH blobs saved and cannot upgrade to 4.0.1 use the first procedure.

Edit: I just reread your post and you have a 3G which has more options in terms of upgrading without SHSH blobs. My understanding is that Redsn0w can get around the firmware signing but again you should google this.

4. Benito thread starter macrumors 6502

Benito

There are a zillion SBSettings in Cydia, which one would allow me to shut off cellular data?

5. Benito thread starter macrumors 6502

Benito

OK great! I went on the 3G to www.unlockit.nz and installed the fake apn. This has now blocked data usage. Thanks guys, that has solved my problem.