Blocking Data plan on iphone 3gs

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by munkieb0mb, Aug 27, 2010.

1. munkieb0mb macrumors newbie

i have just recently gotten a 3gs and i need to know how to block the data. at&t does check ups and activate the data plan when they know yyou are using an iphone. how do i block it?

i know it seems useless to have an iphone without data but i cannot afford it, and i got the iphone at a reasonable price. my friend sold it to me for 50$! so that is much cheaper then getting an itouch. i would only like using the phone and wi-fi. the data plan has been activated twice and i had to contact to get it removed. For the iphone 2g, i just usedd a fake apn application and it worked. i just recently got the 3gs and did the same thing, but i got an email saying they added the data plan, so i had to remove it.

is there any way to use an iphone 3gss without having to pay for data plan, and not having at&t catch me using it and automatically adding the data plan?:confused:

2. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

you don't....your IMIE number is coded as an iPhone. That gets transmitted every time the phone talks to the cell tower. They have software that will identify IMIE numbers that aren't on data plans, and add it for them.

3. etiger13 macrumors member

So you are saying if you have an iphone you have to have a data plan no matter what?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    If your on AT&T you have to unless your on prepaid gosim.

5. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

You can also jailbreak, unlock and go with tmobile, the don't force you on data plan.

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Surely you read your contract and TOS before you signed it? If you signed up for AT&T postpaid service, you agreed to those terms.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, the original iPhone ("2G") is the only model iPhone that AT&T doesn't require that people maintain data plans for.

The fake APN application stops your iPhone from connecting out and trying to use AT&T data. It never stopped AT&T from knowing that you had an original iPhone with no data plan. They just never cared about that. :)

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I assume the contract he signed originally is a 'dumbphone' contract since he bought the 3GS second-hand....

OP the only way is to get into a prepaid plan and you won't have to worry since they can't impose you one...
    If you stay in a regular postpaid plan they will check and eventually put you the data plan! you could try to delay it by asking by phone to AT&T to manually block data for the phone number but once they do a seep and see you have an iphone you will pay the data.
    Also sweet deal for $50!!!:cool:

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You are correct!

AT&T checks IMEI #: on the original iPhone you could change the IMEI to another 'dumbphone' IMEI since it was EDGE with a certain application w/ ease (even though it is ILEGAL worldwide!!) all the other iPhones this is not possible since they use 3G which makes the IMEI change not possible. In conclusion they know you are on an iPhone (they will catch you eventually with one of their IMEI sweeps)

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

All AT&T postpaid contracts contain the same language about iPhone data plans. They have since 2007.