Blocking Edge/3G on iPhone???

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by endlessjourney8, Jul 13, 2008.

1. endlessjourney8 macrumors newbie

For all you lucky iPhone 3g owners.. is there any way to BLOCK data usage completely over the cell network? Would turning off 3g and then deleting edge username/password work? Are the edge settings still available in the 3g?

I can't afford a data plan and want to get a voice only plan but I need to make sure theres no possible chance of using data or else i'll be charged 5c/kb (rogers). :eek:

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Not sure about completely blocking the data service, but the iPhone 3G reverts to EDGE when either 3G cannot be found or is off.

You can turn 3G off manually, and that's a good thing, trust me, as it seems to eat the battery.

R-Fly

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So tell them that you want the data plan taken off. They can block data access from your SIM on request. Get it on paper that they have done this, and if they charge you after a month, take it up with corporate.

4. endlessjourney8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow quick responses!

I know you can get the carrier to block data but if you talk to 10 people 9 will say it can't be done and 1 will try and help you. They always pretend it can't be done cause they want their 30$ a month. If I turn off 3g it will revert to edge but are the EGDE network settings still there to change? My 2g iphone had them and I left username/password blank to prevent data usage. Are they still there?

5. Nadim macrumors newbie

The settings are not here anymore but there are websites offering a service to completely block data on the iPhone 3G, like www.disable3g.com or unlockit.nz (not sure about the address).

6. LennonNZ macrumors newbie

It is http://www.unlockit.co.nz which is free. the other website is kind of a copy made after mine which the owner tries to get people to pay for the service to give you 100% the same result.

7. idesign245 macrumors 6502

Does unlockit.co.nz block both 3G and Edge data?

8. chokito84 macrumors newbie

Cancelling data communication to cellular company

For a few days now, none of the "traditional" methods of trying to block EDGE were working anymore. The thing that I'm trying now is changing the "Data IP" using "ifconfig pdp_ip0 127.0.0.1 broadcast 127.0.0.1", so no data can go to the cellular company anymore. This configuration resets when rebooting the phone, though.