Blocking in iChat

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MarkW19, Dec 22, 2007.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I've just set up MSN to work through Jabber, in iChat 4. It's not perfect (smileys not all the same, file transfers a bit dodgy/filesize limited), but it's a lot slicker generally than MSN for Mac.

I was wondering how to block MSN people in iChat? When I right-click on their name, "Block Buddy" is greyed out. With AIM/.Mac buddys this isn't a problem.

Can anyone help?

2. verity macrumors member

I have the same problem with blocking, just wanted to bump the thread a little. In my case I get annoying initial message from msn to check out their live messenger and use it to add my yahoo contacts (just because I tried doing that once through jabber to check if I can combine msn and yahoo; no go).

For smileys missing from iChat, I would definitely recommend checking out more iChat smileys set. One day I got fed up with not seeing some images from my msn friends and looked around till I found this. Any better sets out there?

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, I'll download the new smileys!

Let me know if you get the blocking working...

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Wow we can do that? :eek:

Is there a tutorial?

Can I use iSight with my MSN buddies through iChat or no?

Thanks

5. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

No, sadly not! It just works through jabber, which is text-only (and files if the server supports it, but it's a little rough).

6. verity macrumors member

I would go here for a start. It's handy to get Psi for that purpose, after setup you can just use iChat.

Nope, AFAIK. Apparently file transfer is as complicated as it's gonna get for a while.

I've mentioned this before, but for me the most stable transports for msn have been either jabber.no or jabber.me.uk. There are lists of them :

http://gojabber.info/providers/all
    http://www.jabberes.org/servers/?sort=name&order=desc
    https://www.xmpp.net/servers

7. verity macrumors member

I ended up going to a PC and logging in to the live messenger. Now I have a list of people I want blocked that way.

Apparently this should work with Adium as well, their bug is supposed to be sorted out. Another way in iChat is to open the user info : alerts and under message received run applescript: Auto Decline.applescript. This option didn't work in my iChat (applescript error), but who knows.

For my msn transport messages that would come up, that was because MSN on Jabber doesn't handle Yahoo contacts (next decade probably), and as soon as you try adding them tells you to go with the newest protocol in MSN Live to be able to communicate with them. Buggers.

8. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Cool, I'll give that applescript a go! Cheers.

9. thibaulth macrumors newbie

I have a related question. How does one stop those Yahoo email notifications on iChat? Through a Jabber service, I'm able to use iChat to connect to Yahoo IM server. But, I keep getting these really annoying email notificaitons and I want to turn them off. In Yahoo Messenger for Mac, I'd turn off that preference to notify about email, but in this case, iChat does not have that preference. Any helps much appreciated. Thank you!

10. verity macrumors member

I used to get them as well, and honestly I don't remember if I changed some setting on the web messenger to not notify of new mail (don't have yahoo downloaded, never use it) or if my transport stopped sending them or what, but I never get those messages any more. You can try a different public yahoo server easily enough for a quick check (like yahoo.jabber.no or yahoo.jabber.me.uk, my personal preferences).

Sorry if that doesn't help.