Blocking on Handbrake

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MLB1, Nov 11, 2010.

1. MLB1 macrumors newbie

Anyone know why it happens, and how it can be addressed?

I'm a simpleton, so an easy answer would be great!

Much thanks...

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. MLB1, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

MLB1 thread starter macrumors newbie

By blocking, I mean that the video quality is bad. That sometimes, rather than actual video, a "block" appears. I think it's the same thing as when you are watching HD on tv, and there is too much data and the screen shows some blocks. I'm new at this, but perhaps it's also called pixelization. There is a blocking feature in the software, though...

I am using the latest versions of all software.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Okay, what source format (video DVD, .avi file, ...) do you use to transcode via Handbrake via what specific settings or Handbrake presets?

5. MLB1 thread starter macrumors newbie

From a DVD

But I've tried more than a few settings. I'm using 2-pass, 3000 kb. MP4.

Probably not much to work on there....

I was also wondering, if perhaps it's the player? I'm using VLC...

6. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

I'm assuming what you're experiencing is called macroblocking. It's a common compression artifact whenever the bitrate isn't sufficient enough for the data being displayed at the current time on the video. High movements scenes are especially bad for this.

3000kbps can be decent depending on your resolution or codec used. Be sure to use the more advanced and higher quality x264 codec, and boost up the number of reference frames and bframes as needed.

What codec are you currently using? If it's not x264, it's not advanced enough to display a macroblock free compression at only 3000kbps.

7. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

Play with the quality settings bar towards the bottom. and adjust the bit rate higher. Also try mkv file mode, instead of mp4...sometimes it transfers better.

Use the preview window before you make the file, that way you don't wait for the whole thing to be made in order to see what it looks like.